ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright the time has come for a new top.

What are your opinions on plastic vs. glass?

I'll be living in Northwest Ohio soon, and it gets very cold. I'll have a garage but the car will be daily driven and will definately see snow and ice.
I also have a Boss Frog Clearview roll bar. It says it works w/ glass tops.

I'm leaning toward glass. I like that I can actually see through it, and I think I might as well splurge for the defroster option given the weather.

Lastly. Does anyone know of shops in the DC Metropolitan area, preferably northern VA, that'll do a proper job of replacing the top? It seems to be pretty difficult to attempt on your own.

Input appreciated!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Go for glass.

In cold weather the rear window may crack.

As for shops in NOVA, I was going to recommend PBC.. Now it seems they are a catch-all repair buisness; they started out as a Miata-only internet vendor, then moved to service and on to what they are now. Call and see if they do (and have done many) Miata tops in the past.

By proper, you mean professional right?

Anyway http://www.performancebuyers.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for glass.

In cold weather the rear window may crack.

As for shops in NOVA, I was going to recommend PBC.. Now it seems they are a catch-all repair buisness; they started out as a Miata-only internet vendor, then moved to service and on to what they are now. Call and see if they do (and have done many) Miata tops in the past.

By proper, you mean professional right?

Anyway http://www.performancebuyers.com

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Unless someone can convince me otherwise it's lookin like I'm going toward glass.

I called PBC and they do install tops. But damn is it expensive. Makin me reconsider if I should tackle it myself. I do everything from changing my oil to rebuilding my motors, so I'm not used to paying for labor. Installing a top seems like such a pain in the ass though ugh... We'll see what the funds are looking like when it comes time to install. PBC definately seems like a legit shop.

Thanks again

·
Registered
189 Posts
I installed my own no zip glass top and I love it. That being said... I wish I had just paid to have it done. But, now that I have done it I could do it again far quicker the second time.

PS. you will probably want to replace the helper cables and the "anti pinch metal pieces" that are screwed to the bottom of the "B"pillar area

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
its probably more of a pain in the ass to install one with a roll bar in there.

that said, Ive heard nothing but good things about PBC and their miata service.

·
Registered
209 Posts
PBC will do a good job, when I was in there for a diagnostic (thermosensor unplugged, FUBARed O2 sensor) they were doing a frame-off top install, which is definitely the way to go.

At the very least, ask them about sourcing a top. Since they only install Robbins tops (which are top quality) they know how to get the good tops for cheap.

On the other hand, look for a 99+ Soft Top (with OEM glass window!) and frame together, and I'll offer my garage and air tools (trust me, saves your wrists...) to help you install it some weekend soon. Location's somewhere in the Vienna/Mclean/Great Falls area... Don't want to be too open on the internet yet.

Oh! And if you chose to install it yourself, we can tackle it together too. Just not at my place. It took me a whole weekend to install my new top... And I regretted it cause I forgot to get the proper tools and had to MacGyver some parts of the install. But I know where to source them now in NoVA and can get some discount at the places that sell the parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts