ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4,436 Posts
That is a tough one - on my RS Eight's I had say about 15 8mm bolts and nuts that made up the 2 pc wheel - I need to go back to my emails and see what Watanabe recommended - but it was really small - like 15 ft lbs each or less. Let me search and get back to you.

Also, I replaced all my wheel hardware when I refinished my rims - purchased all new steel bolts and nuts (coated with anticorrosion) and z-lock washers to keep the nuts anchored. Also, I was told to be very careful when dismantling a 2 pc wheel - you always want to leave 2-4 screws in place and keep the wheel together - very hard to get it back into place, etc.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is a sneak peak for you guys. Why leave bolts in place to hold the wheel together though? I dismantle wheel into 2 pc to refinish and put it back together. I was told about 20ft lb. Thanks for the help, Peter. Oh, one more thing. It's o.k if I use the original bolts right? Those bolts are all marked and logoed, so I would like to reuse them.

·
Supporting Member
612 Posts
I refurbished some 18" 5Zigen Copse wheels for the civic I had about a year ago and I tried to torque them to 35ft/lbs and the bolts broke. Talked around an found out that was over kill and they needed to be around 20-25ft/lbs. Had them on there for awhile and never had an issue. I did put a small amount of locktite on them just incase. Get ready for a sore arm....lots of bolts...lol. Also the center hoop or shell was anodized clear! All Volk, and most JDM wheels are like that. That?s also why they get messed up when ppl use some wheel cleaners or degreasers on them.

I took them down to a local anodizing shop here and they acid dipped them took everything off even the polish. Have them repolished or you could spend the time to do it. Might want to leave them exposed and polish them every once and awhile cause chances of finding someone to re-anodize them clear correctly will be a challenge. If you leave them exposed watch out for sprinklers if you have hard water there. Save you a lot of time from heavy water spots.[/img]

·
Registered
459 Posts
hi ce28=)hmmm. i had wanted to refinish my wheels too. put mine where the types that require 680...no wait. needed 1500ibs to get pressed out. at that point, i belief the bolts were just safety measures.i handtight them...around 10-15lbs. like what most are saying. and its no prob. but i know the main thing is that you should not have tires on(which u didn't)when removing these bolts. and why not tighten in a cross sectional pattern for good measure.

i have one question for you tho. the wheels in da pics. i had the same one from linea sports off my honda. saw someone with the same from bbs, then yours... these are from impul? rs impul? how many other make these, and are they pretty much the same? (sorry, i sold those with my honda).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts