ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 miata putting down over 200 wheel hp. My 195 toyo t1-s arent cutting it. I auto-x a lot and i also drag race, with intention of road racing in the near future. I know i cant have 1 tire for all 3 forms of racing, but which one would be a better bang for the buck tire? Obviousely the V710's would stick better, but would they realy be worth it? I plan on buying Team Dynamics 14x7 with either 225/50-14 v710's or the toyos RA-1's in the same size. I know the RA-1's are very good track tire, but are they THAT bad for auto-x? They both have a hard sidewall but would the 225 ra-1 be a decent tire to get me under 2.0 60' time? I would like to get the best bang for the buck tire and i need some more advice. Once again im not trying to set records i just want to step up the fun.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
for budget and long lasting. i say toyo. they are the good for everything, including wet. you don't have to worry about over-heating them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Get the 15x7 Team dynamics and mount up some 250/50/15 Toyo's and you'll have the same set-up as Spec Miata cars.

M

·
0 Posts
Have you guys not heard of Hankooks?! They are the official tire for the Spec Miata series for a reason...

:p

·
Registered
489 Posts
Have you guys not heard of Hankooks?! They are the official tire for the Spec Miata series for a reason...

That's only for the national series. And also because Hankook threw a ton of money at SCCA. Toyo is still the spes tire for the majority of SCCA regions.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,122 Posts

That's only for the national series. And also because Hankook threw a ton of money at SCCA. Toyo is still the spes tire for the majority of SCCA regions.
That's why I always laugh when people say "well, the Spec Miata guys do it...". More often than not, they do (or don't do) things ONLY because the rules say to, not necessarily because it's the best way to do it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's why I always laugh when people say "well, the Spec Miata guys do it...". More often than not, they do (or don't do) things ONLY because the rules say to, not necessarily because it's the best way to do it.
That's the whole deal with rules. They often limit what you can do so that there is "cap" on the performance and cost of the class. But, as you all know racers will always find another way to go faster or spend more money.

I'm trying to stick with what the rule book says since after next season my street Miata will become my race car, that's all.

^ In that same vein, should I put my baby teeth back in? The Spec Miata guys don't take 'em out.
The reason SM guys don't take them out is because the GCR requires that they leave them in for being towed in. And, for that matter they are still illegal since now the rule is that they have to have a tow hook with a 2" i.d. hole.

M

·
0 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:24 am]Hankooks are ok when they are fresh. but they don't heat cycle that well. track times fall off pretty quickly after a weekend of use.
What about as a compromise for street daily driving?

·
Mufasa in Training
31,122 Posts
That's the whole deal with rules. They often limit what you can do so that there is "cap" on the performance and cost of the class. But, as you all know racers will always find another way to go faster or spend more money.

I'm trying to stick with what the rule book says since after next season my street Miata will become my race car, that's all.
If that's the case, great. By all means, stay within the rules. I just think a lot of people get in the habit of recommending certain things because "that's what the Spec guys do" without realizing that there is a big set of reasons why they do that, and not all are because of increased performance. I used to do the same thing until I became more familiar with the rules, so now it's just a chuckle :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
GRM test 7/05:

Street Tires:
1. 42.984 Falken Azenis RT-615
2. 43.254 Falken Azenis RT-215
3. 43.287 Yokohama Advan Neova
4. 43.511 Hankook R-S2 Z212
5. 43.762 Kumho Ecsta MX
6. 43.855 BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD

Track Tires: