ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help guys. I bought a 2001 ls miata 6 speed a couple months ago and wanted to change the transmission fluid but wasnt 100 percent on the location of the fill and drain plug. i did a search here and the google but found nothing that would help me. does anyone have a "how to" or photos of the under car for a NB? the only thing i could find was on youtube by miata fan on a NA. any help will be appricated, thanks.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Drain plug should be pretty obvious. It's a 24mm right on the bottom. Filler plug is on the driver side of the trans. Use an open ended wrench for it (can't recall size) Takes 1.8-2 and some change qts. Make sure to use a new crush washer on the 24mm drain plug.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks jo. i didnt search miata.net since i dont read on that site (it is blocked at my work and clubroadster is not) and google didnt turn up anything. thats exactly what i needed. i had found the plugs but wanted to be 100 percent on it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Take out the fill plug before you take out the drain plug... If you cant get the fill plug out, you'll have to drive it to a shop. and you can do that if you've already drained the fluids.

(Edit: Reason you may not be able to get the fill plug out is to some gorilla at Bob's Mufflers and Oil Change's tightening it 1 million psi)

Also, do the rear diff and trans turret fluid at the same time. GL brotha

·
Registered
945 Posts
Drain plug should be pretty obvious. It's a 24mm right on the bottom. Filler plug is on the driver side of the trans. Use an open ended wrench for it (can't recall size) Takes 1.8-2 and some change qts. Make sure to use a new crush washer on the 24mm drain plug.
I think it's a 22mm but eh.. i might be wrong.

Completely off-topic side note: My SRT4's directions for filling the trans were to pour the fluid in until it came out of the fill hole and overflowed on the trans, then you plopped some flimsy rubber cap on it and you're done. The cap looked like a milk jug cap. That car was a hoot..

·
Registered
945 Posts
I meant for the filler, the one you couldnt remember the size. I recall having 2 wrenches under there... This could also be becasue i had a plug replaced though.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I meant for the filler, the one you couldnt remember the size. I recall having 2 wrenches under there... This could also be becasue i had a plug replaced though.
Ah gotcha.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the tips guys.

i just recently started having trouble geting into reverse, sometimes i have to put it in first and release the clutch slightly and then itll shift into reverse. will chaning the fluid help or am i looking at a rebuild soon?

·
Cheyyyaaa
1,389 Posts

i just recently started having trouble geting into reverse, sometimes i have to put it in first and release the clutch slightly and then itll shift into reverse. will chaning the fluid help or am i looking at a rebuild soon?
Does it block you out when the engine is cold or warm?

·
Registered
920 Posts

Relatively common. I usually go 3rd to R.

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Use a quality metric adjustable wrench... ;)

On my 2002 both drain and fill plugs are 24 mm.
While it's a good practice to make sure you can open the fill plug before you drain the fluid to make sure you can fill it back up, the NB trans has an "emergency filler" - through the shifter turret.

Moti

·
Registered
37 Posts
My six speed sometimes is difficult to get reverse. I also go into third then reverse. It's been like that since I had it at 26k miles. No matter what fluid has been in the transmission it's still the same. You get used to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts