ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5 speed transmission on my 2003 NB is making some slight noises that sound like a faint grinding or scraping. Not super loud but noticeable. The strange part to me is the it does not make this noise in 5th gear. the noise is most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear and is almost non existent in 1st and second. Also the noise only occurs under acceleration roughly between 3-4k rpms. Does anyone know what this noise might be? A few other things that might be helpful to know, the car has an exedy stage 1 clutch with a lightweight flywheel. The clutch was recently replaced with another exedy stage 1, however the flywheel was not replaced. Also the sycros in 5th gear do not work. Any input would be appreciated.

· Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,883 Posts
How old is the fluid in the diff and the tranny? Was the correct weight used?

· Registered
585 Posts
Look up 4th gear ping and see if it sounds like that. Sounds like a rattle.. It's normal for NB, mine pings in the 3-4k zone in 3rd and 4th under med/hard acceleration.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
As mentioned above, check fuilds. If everything is alright with the fluids check to see what type of shape is your clutch in? Does it slip under any load? Does it disengage high? I'm replacing the clutch in my 91 this weekend. I knew it was going bad when I bought the car, but this week it started to slip in 4th, 5th, and even 3rd. It also made a slight grinding noise in the higher rpm range. Hope I was able to help.

· Registered
2 Posts
If I am not wrong...grinding noise could be a serious problem with your planetary gear system. If you are driving an automatic transmission, it depends on a planetary gear system to function optimally, and if this system is not running well, it can invite major damage throughout your transmission system. So. get it checked thoroughly or feel free to visit Used Engines Inc Blog - Latest News and Articles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts