ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Let me tell you my suspension scenario.....
I have a '92 with decent mileage and wanted to firm up the suspension a little while back. So I bought kyb gr2's and against everyones' advice the ebay coilovers. I have stock rims and tires on right now, but plan to upgrade to 15x7's with 205/50's.
Let me say that everyone was right about the ebay coilovers, they suck, the springs sagged horribly after 3 days of driving, the springs fully compress and the coils stack ontop of one another before the car even hits the bumpstops. I think the springs included in the ebay coilovers were made for a go kart.

So anyway.....I need to get some decent springs on the car. I'm too broke to grab a set of real coilovers, so I'm trying to find a reputable set of lowering springs to be used on stock style shocks. I've already ordered a set of 46mm Fat Cat bumpstops, and will retain my gr2's since they're brand new.

My question to you guys is......what are your recomendations for a set of lowering springs for stock style shocks and a 1" to 2" drop , keep in mind I will be using fat cat 46mm bumps and same overall outer diamater when I upgrade my wheels and tires.

Anyone try any of these springs out.....

ACE MOTORSPORTS??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...89863&rd=1&rd=1

PROBABLY ANOTHER CRAPPY EBAY JOB
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...1QQcmdZViewItem

THEY SAY THEY USED TO OWN EIBACH OR SOME CRAP LIKE THAT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...93547&rd=1&rd=1

HAVE HEARD MIXED REVIEWS ABOUT THESE, BUT MOSTLY GOOD
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN...1QQcmdZViewItem

what do ya say?

Anthony

·
Registered
718 Posts
bad links!!!!

IIRC racing beat's springs are probably best for your shocks because the rates are the closest to stock.

you probably couldn't go wrong with a set of s-techs or eibachs, though.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
+1 Tein S.Tech although make sure you get genuine items and not the knockoffs. Many people like the Racing Beat springs. You should keep the threaded perches from your eBay coilovers and use them with whatever brand spring you choose. Alternatively, you could source springs from Carerra or Hypercoil.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Which brand of eBay spring did you get? I've heard that one is terrible and one only sucks mildly. The less sucky one is of interest to me for my $2007 challenge car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...019QQitemZ290112205799QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

those are the exact springs i got. intersetingly, i ordered them for my '92na which the auction said they were for. when the box arrived it said 99-03. i emailed the seller and the seller said they're the same for na and nb, they just list them on different auctions so they attract more buyers. so if you're planning on getting them for your '00 and up car, you will be getting the same crap that i got. the sleeves are fine, but the springs are for a go kart.

i would love to use the sleeves with whatever springs i get, but any springs that are made for stock shocks will be way to long because the bottom of the coilover sleeve when set to lowest ride height is about 3" above where the bottom of the stock style springs seat on the shock, also, every stock style spring that i have seen, has a way too wide i.d. to rest on the coil sleeve adjuster rings.

anyone, know what the i.d. measurement and overall top to bottom measurement of the springs is on ground controls? and where i can get just those springs. i would love to find a pair of springs that would work with the sleeves i already have

·
Registered
212 Posts
the springs arent the problem, its the struts. the gr2 is basically a oem strut, just too soft for any aftermarket stiffer spring

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My problem is bottoming out harshly. I ran the GR2's with the stock springs before I went with the coilovers and the car didn't bottom out harshly.

When I put the crapbay coilovers on, the car bottoms harshly. If you read my earlier posts you would see that I mentioned the ebay springs being too compressed when just sitting, and if I compress the suspension on one corner, the ebay springs stack up on top of eachother. The springs are just plain to soft, short for the car.

BTW...basic car principle, shocks and strut cartridges control rebound not compression. By saying that me replacing the old 160,000+ mile stock shocks with brand new GR2's is what is causing me to bottom out is just an idiotic statement.
While it is true that a shock with more rebound control should be used when using a high rate spring.

I have a set of fat cats on the way to help me when I bottom out, my question was if anyone has used any of the three sets of springs i put in the original post or if anyone has recomendations for lowering springs that can be used with stock style shocks, or option 3 springs that can be used with the coilover sleeves i already have.

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,052 Posts
Again, dont blame what you dont know, its the shocks that cannot keep up with the springs, not vice versa.

fyi, those coilovers are great, if you knew how to use them properly and mate them with more proper shocks to handle em(ie AGX, NOT GR-2!)

plus, have you done a search b4 buying? look up miata.net --there is tons of info on em, tons of comments that are good/bad, but also be curious as to why people say they are bad/good(daily driving? old age? youth? lowering range? autoX? race? etc.)

TeRRy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol. yes your car will not handle right if your springs are too stiff and your shocks arent valved heavily enough, but.........
NOOOOOOOOOOO!, heavy valved shocks will not cure your car from bottoming out if your springs are WAY TOO WEAK.

LETS HEAR IT FOR COMMON SENSE =D>

TERRY PHAM..... if you would have read my post you would have seen that i already spoke to many people on miata.net and miataturbo.net that advised me against them before i bought them. so thanks for the tip on looking into stuff before you buy it, but, i made the decision to try the crapbay coilovers out even after i spoke to everyone....so now...im saying everyone who tried to steer me away was right. heavy valve shocks are not my answer to my new problem though. the reason i say the ebay coilovers i have are crap is not because im old and dont like stiff suspension, not because i dont like a little less comfort(come one i drive a miata), but because of what i said in my ORIGINAL POST....the suspension harshly bottoms out when i hit a pebble......this is why they are bad, they will eventually destroy my suspension piece by piece from the inumerable harsh hits that are innevitable due to the weeeaaakkk springs.

come on.... any have a well constructed answer... or suggestion.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
the springs are too stiff and your struts are too soft man. i have ran ebay coilover and i know many other people with them. the spring rates ate like 500 and 350. they are not soft, but the struts are

·
Registered
552 Posts
saying ebay coilovers is too general. i suppose u didn't buy the ones that ppl have ran sucessfully on track through multiple years and events (r1 brand, purple springs with red perches, designated for "NB"). kybs.. how about putting your stock springs back on and getting some top mounts from chikara, it'll drop you 3/4 to 1 inch.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
btw, i think the cheap way out now would be to buy some tein s-tech springs off ebay, they go for 130 shipped... so dont get the fake 100 and under shipped ones.

TeRRy
i agree, don't cheap out of 'ebay coilovers' just buy some decent lowering springs. you don't have to pay too much for them. i paid $140 for my swift springs and my brother paid like $100 for his real s-tech springs, they do they job, unless your looking for custom rates, go with some ground control sleeves and eibach springs.

just my .02 cents. you car will appreciate the decent springs and so will your back.

Scott

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,052 Posts
you dont even have to get ground controls, that's a waste of money too... you already have the ebay coilover sleeves, those work fine, just get some springs 6"280 fronts, 6" 220 rears or something of that sort from summitracing or something.

TeRRy

btw, i know wtf im talkin about, i used five different companies of "ebay coilovers" successfully... and tell you this, i dont use the cheapest one step above oem shocks. i have used arospeed coilovers, dropzone, ractive, bomz as well as weapon R.

·
Registered
552 Posts
excelente,

hey terry, are you having problems with 6 inch springs in the rear? i seem to be.. or maybe its something else. maybe it has to do with r bilstein im using having lower perch than other shocks?

maybe u can help me troubleshoot :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts