ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide what to replace my Mazdaspeed tall leather shift knob with.

I'm torn between a classic white ball knob with black engraved 5-speed pattern from EPCO

and the "Mazdaspeed" RX-8 urethane knob

Does anyone have any better pics of the RX-8 knob? I don't care for the Mazda6 or rotary shaped RX-8 knobs, just the "Mazdaspeed" RX-8 urethane version. I'm a little concerned about shift quality given that both the oem and tall leather Mazdaspeed knob are weighted and pretty darn heavy. I don't want a knob that's so light that the shift becomes notchy. I figure I could always drill either shift knob out and add lead if I had to. The EPCO comes in 1 5/8", 1 7/8", 2", and 2 1/4" sizes. Which size is the most "classic"? I'm thinking 1 7/8" might be just right. The EPCO knobs remind me of old Hurst shifters and the black knobs in old Austin-Healeys.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a new key fob.

Can anyone recommend Rotary Performance of Garland, TX? $6.00 seems awefully cheap. Maybe it's so cheap since it's fake?

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I like those classic ball ones with the shift pattern. I have a black razo ra25 knob, nice and heavy, has razo etched in the top thats hardly visible, and has "type340" in red text underneath (its 340 grams) I believe its a 2" ball, but they are like a dime a dozen on ebay if you want to try and track down specs. I think its a very good size, whatever it really is, I wouldnt like one smaller, but a little bit bigger and I wouldnt complain.

I think I want to polish my shifter (not the knob), and get some sort of old school low profile rubber shift boot from another car to retrofit.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
What's wrong with the MS leather knob you have? Looks and feels better than any of the alternatives you're considering :lol: And more unique too.

Where do you buy that MS keychain??

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I want to polish my shifter (not the knob), and get some sort of old school low profile rubber shift boot from another car to retrofit.
Eggzactly. I just went to the Britain on the Green car show on Sunday and I now have tons of nostalgic roadster inspiration. My favorite cars there included the Triumph Italia 2000GT, Aston-Martin DB4 (better than new and over 300hp), AC Aceca, a 1930's 4-wheeled Morgan done up to period racing specs, not to mention all the cool TR3s, TR250s, GT6s, 3000s, 100s, MGs, Jaguars, Bentleys, Rolls, TVRs, Rileys, Sunbeams, Lotus, Morgans, Fords, etc.

I thought about the Razo knob but I can't seem to find any of the heavy ones on eBay (only the lightweight ones) and I don't know which e-tailers to trust. As far as the polished gearlever goes, I was looking at the KG Works shifter but it's pricey and reviews are mixed - but I do like how it is just one skinny shaft without the internal rubber dampener. It's very classic looking although maybe not tall enough for my tastes.

I still like the shift knob I have but I'm getting bored and am thinking of trying something different. Maybe I need to take another look at the RS Factory Stage knob. I always did think the M2-1001 had the perfect interior.

·
Sponsor
1,963 Posts
i use a nismo gt urethane knob on my mx, i liked it better than the stock version imo because it has that slight 'give' because the material is a little bit softer. it's not 'hard' leather like a stock one. it's also a tad bit lighter than the stocker but i don't think i ever noticed any difference when shifting. i would expect the rx-8 version to be about the same.

also in regards to those old school types/ hard plastic/metal meterial, did any of you burn your hands on those things? i drove my friends car that was parked in the sun and OUCH those things really insulate heat well.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Ive driven mine after its been sitting in the sun all afternoon, the knob gets hot, but not burn your hand hot, but then again its not summer yet.

I'd have to say I hate it being cold in the morning though.

The heaviness greatly improved the smoothness of the shifts. On cold mornings, 1st and 2nd are still rough like usual but once the tranny warms up its all gravy. I was digging around on Razo's website I think I might have got the heaviest knob they make.

·
Registered
592 Posts
ARC Titanium. Had one on the S2000 and loved it. I would have switched it to the Miata if the thread pitch was the same. I'll go with the KG Vintage, and buy an ARC Ti in Mazda thread pitch.

Shift knobs are so easy to switch, get on for every mood!

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
also in regards to those old school types/ hard plastic/metal meterial, did any of you burn your hands on those things? i drove my friends car that was parked in the sun and OUCH those things really insulate heat well.
the chrome ones really do get hot. I had the Greddy knob for years... and many times I've been tempted to put a sock over it.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just decided to place an order with Rotary Performance aka RX7.com for the red acrylic Mazdaspeed key chain. It's always a bummer when the shipping costs exceed the list price of the object being shipped. I've never used their business before so hopefully they can do a good job and earn my trust with this simple transaction. If RP does a good job but the quality of the key fob is not up to snuff I'll probably spring for the aluminum Mazdaspeed key chain.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well the best way I found to figure this most diffcult question is to try one and see if you like , if not replace it with one till you find the one that fits your hand best but , I have to ask are a "lefty or a "righty , ya know it does make a differnece , well and which side the steering wheel is on too .

But for the most part its kinda like a personal thing so you gotta make the choice , I got me an old woren VooDoo and I lover it very much , now on my spitfier I had the stock knob with an overdrive switch on the side , and in my MGB that again was stock , purty much back then you didn't have so many choices , ya know thats the problem you have to many choices and you wanna be different , just get one and try it thats the best way to know , besides "Stock Sux" !

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on my spitfier I had the stock knob with an overdrive switch on the side
My friend's TR6 race car has the Austin-Healey competition style alloy knob with the overdrive toggle switch on the side. I find that I shift in and out of overdrive much more frequently with this setup.

·
Registered
101 Posts
freedomgli,

If you want to get rid of your mazdaspeed I'll take it off your hands....PM me por favor...thanks

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just decided to place an order with Rotary Performance aka RX7.com for the red acrylic Mazdaspeed key chain.
To follow up, I am pleased to report that my experience buying from RX7.com was a positive one. I immediately received an e-mail confirmation that my order had been received. A few hours later I received another e-mail message that said the order had been shipped and they provided the UPS tracking number. The box arrived a few short days later and inside was my key fob. It was very well packaged (bubble wrap and peanuts) and came in a clear plastic bag with no labels. While I seriously doubt this is a genuine Mazdaspeed item (since genuine accessories usually say "Tourng Kit" or have a Mazda part number) it is very nice quality for a plastic key fob. It is a perfect match for my authentic red Mazdaspeed horn button and the silver lettering is clear and bright. Overall I am happy and wouldn't hesitate to purchase more items from Rotary Performance in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts