ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am in love with the tuckin99 flares (they are considered a must have). Don't have any money right now (it's coming) but I would like to know how invested this install is. I have found the link on miataroadster.com of the supposed "install" but these are the flush mounted AWR kit (look nice but molded is not for me). Link

So, How much work is involved in installing them. Do I have to go through all the cutting, bending, and welding on the stock fender lips like is shown with the AWR kit? Is it just a bolt on? Will I have to weld extension on the the fender lip in order to meet the flares?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haven't quite decided. What is the largest size tire you can fit under the stock fender well?

Sidenote: what are kickinitoutyo and gotxqss running?

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
If I were doing it, I would install them with the intention of putting more rubber under them, that way you dont have to take them off, trim fender and install them again when you increase wheel diameter and width...which would most likely be a viable choice once the flairs are on.

·
CR.net Supporter
281 Posts
as skinnyroadster says, you may as well do the job properly the first time round. when i got mine with the arches on, the inner arches had not been trimmed giving massive scrubbage. i was a bit of a newbie so i got a bodyshop to do the arch trimming at some stupid price whilst the arches were on the car. would be a lot simpler to do a neat job the 1st time around as mine doesn't look like the most professional of jobs.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I think I am getting the idea. Looks like the arches will get trimmed back.

Jim Green, did you have an extra lip welded onto the edge of your arch in order to mount the flares to it? Also, did you have the front fenders done the same as the back (or in similar style)?

·
Registered
464 Posts
You're going to have to cut the fenders because the flares curve up enough where you can see the stock fender under it if you just bolt it on. Then you have to bend or fab and weld the new inner fender because you cut the old one. I'm not sure what you mean by welding on an extra lip to mount to though. Because these aren't simple bolt on is the reason lots go with the smaller ones instead (besides price, availability and need for ultra low offsets :lol: )

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have the tucken flares.

I did the trimming in the garage. It doesn't have a pretty weld like the AWR ones, but it works. I just made a bunch of vertical cuts in the fender and bent the pieces out. I then cut them off shorter and rivited the 2 pieces together. Not pretty, but quick and dirty...

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 pm]I have the tucken flares.

I did the trimming in the garage. It doesn't have a pretty weld like the AWR ones, but it works. I just made a bunch of vertical cuts in the fender and bent the pieces out. I then cut them off shorter and rivited the 2 pieces together. Not pretty, but quick and dirty...

I did this and spot welded some of cuts.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:30 pm]I have the tucken flares.

Quick questions, do tuckin fenders curve up as much as the ones that druz posted, so much that you can see the fender? I don't like that because the cars looks too high even though it's lowered.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mine are Tuckin's, the big N2s. Since the op mentioned Chris's car (kickinoutyo), I assumed he was talking about these and not the small Tuckin's.

·
3,857 Posts
A few things just by reading all the above:
->The N2 flares are not in production anymore.

->Tuckin is making N2 replicas (Chris Lee, jimgreen83, druz)
and
->Smaller flares like the one that Matt has

webba1, the process that you see for the AWR flares doesn't have to do with the rivet or molded part of the job. It has to do with the fact that you extend the fenders. So yes you need to do all this if you want to do it right.
The extension that you talking about is there so that the rocks and the dirt from the streets won't damage your flares.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few things just by reading all the above:
->The N2 flares are not in production anymore.

->Tuckin is making N2 replicas (Chris Lee, jimgreen83, druz)
and
->Smaller flares like the one that Matt has

webba1, the process that you see for the AWR flares doesn't have to do with the rivet or molded part of the job. It has to do with the fact that you extend the fenders. So yes you need to do all this if you want to do it right.
The extension that you talking about is there so that the rocks and the dirt from the streets won't damage your flares.
Great info guys, Thanks a bunch. I am not interested in any of the small flares my goal (not to sound like a copy-cat/poser) is to have the car look about like Chris/jim/druz's). Of course, I will do some things different. Thanks again for all the info!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts