ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've done the basic mods and have some on order. Exhaust is coming, intake is coming and then suspension will be on order. I know I won't be getting huge amounts of power with what I got, never expected it either, but I do know it'll help a little with getting me from point a to point b a little faster. I know these aren't the fastest cars, but they're prolly the best handling I've been in. Is the 1990 - 1993 a speed density air system? If so, is there a way to swap to a MAS system from a newer vehicle? I know MAS systems respond to mods better and are by far easier to tune with.

Another question, is there a basic mods list out there? Like a poor man's step system? (I'll upgrade to turbo after I pay a few things off, I would like to drift with it in the future.)
1. Intake
2. exhaust
3. etc?

Any help is appreciated guys, thanks!!

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump your timing to 14*
Advance correct? I haven't played with my timing yet and noticed a huge lag if I get on it below 3.5k rpm, hopefully it'll smooth it out a bit. I pulled a plug last night and it was a light brown =D> but I also pulled the wire out of the cap when doing that, so she's down for a day :cry: Looks like I'll have to get some premium wires for her.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, before I realized what I was working on, there wasn't an adjustable distributor #-o Damn v8's. It's the cam sensor on the rear of the motor correct that adjusts timing? Is it really as simple as loosening the hold down bolt and adjusting it like on Chevy's and Ford's? Light was becoming scarce as I worked on the car, so I didn't want to mess something up in darkness and not know what the heck I did. :x

·
Registered
459 Posts
here's my 2c. jusst be careful not to advance too much on timing when using a timing light. especially out of factory recommendations. as too much adv. can give knocking and detonation if no other fuel source is ampped up. the flame front is occuring faster before tdc. advancing may be good for torque, but at the sacrifice of hp on the higher end.

i'd never checked my timing since i've no mods due to only owning the 94miata for 3 mnths. so i can't recommend to youthe timing #s for a honda...hope you get some results.

·
Registered
459 Posts
hmmm. just came to me. you are changing plugs too right? find out the heat range on that model plug and go with a colder spark plug so you won't be getting anymore light-brown plugs. any yellows with sparkling metal flakes on the electrodes are signs of detonation and/or lean mixtures. it'll be good if you can find something to accompany that mod/ or adjustment with something that'll balance it out.
but that header may also do some good since its more free flow letting hot exhaust gasses out quicker...whatever, all trial and error. keep us posted on your work

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't feel/ hear any knock or ping. I've been taught that a light brown plug was perfect as far as tuning goes, but that's coming from motorcycles. I put NGK v-series plugs in at the stock heat range. I've been running 91 octane since aquired the car. So far, so good. Now I just need to read some good reviews on exhausts. Anyone know the benefits over passenger-side exit exhaust to driver's-side exit besides great looks and possibly mid to top-end performance?

No prob keeping you guys posted. :mrgreen:

·
Mufasa in Training
31,064 Posts
Another question, is there a basic mods list out there? Like a poor man's step system? (I'll upgrade to turbo after I pay a few things off, I would like to drift with it in the future.)
1. Intake
2. exhaust
3. etc?
I wouldn't call it a scam, but new folks always seem to fall for it. If you want a turbo, just save your money for it. As it is, I/H/E will cost you upwards of $1k if not more, which you'll have to ditch (or will ditch) by the time you get said turbo (of course, if you went supercharged, this investment will be almost money well spent because you cna keep the exhaust and maybe the header depending on how you do things).

In other words, odn't spend money "just for now" on stuff you're going to be trying to sell (at a loss) later.

BTW...a Miata can drift at stock power levels.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't call it a scam, but new folks always seem to fall for it. If you want a turbo, just save your money for it. As it is, I/H/E will cost you upwards of $1k if not more, which you'll have to ditch (or will ditch) by the time you get said turbo (of course, if you went supercharged, this investment will be almost money well spent because you can keep the exhaust and maybe the header depending on how you do things).

In other words, don't spend money "just for now" on stuff you're going to be trying to sell (at a loss) later.

BTW...a Miata can drift at stock power levels.
Well, I replaced the stock cat-back with some stuff I had laying around that I had taken off the truck :oops: Mainly just a flowmaster and a small amount of tubing for now because whoever replaced the original muffler put in an old volvo-like round muffler that had rusted internals! #-o I've been thinking more and more, Turbo is def the thing to do, I am putting money aside for it come next year. I knew about the header trick that everyone falls for, but I'm not planning on keeping it N/A, so I tossed that idea out the window a while ago. :mrgreen: Thanks for that reply though Bryan, good advice for people just getting into these little cars! Total investment in the car is roughly $100 :shock: I did get her Slideways on some back roads late at night, I think I need a shorter sidewal on the wheels I have now in the future along with some bracing to keep the body from rolling too much. What's a safe rev-range on stock internals?! I don't want to blow her up before the real fun can begin.

Thanks for the Link Bill!! =D>

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
haha I havent even checked mine, I think its at 14 but not too sure.

I just got a straight pipe to put in place of the cat last week, feels pretty good if you ask me and totally worth it if you're willing to put your cat back on when necessary. plus the car now gives off a lovely aroma that is reminiscent of a classic muscle car 8)

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I bumped the timing up a bit, she goes like whoa, better than before. Noticed that my hessitation went away also, well most of it. I gotta start putting more money aside for this new "toy" of mine :mrgreen: I'm gonna have fun modding this little sucker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts