ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being from the 'old skool' of hot rodding and muscle cars, I decided to do a project called 'Roadster on a Budget'. The concept is basically to put together a Miata that suits my old skool tastes for as little $$ as humanly possible, using free and left over parts, trading, bartering, and a cheap car, plus alot of elbow grease. The goal initially was to build a turbocharged retro styled roadster for $2500 out of pocket.

This project began almost two years ago with a purchase of a 90 red B package with hardtop and with alot of spare parts as well as some really cool aftermarket items....all for about a thousand bucks. I began selling off all the parts/pieces I didnt want actually gaining good positive cash flow yet keeping the car. I have since swapped that car for this one....a blank slate....a 1991 Silverstone B package rescued from a yard where it sat for two years.

It is also is being stripped and all extra not needed items sold off....gaining even more positive cash flow. In addition to usuing many items I have obtained for free or that are left over from other cars, I have purchased a few new items that suit my tastes...and the BUDGET. All expenditures are subtracted on a spreadsheet with all items sold off being added, the net result being the out of pocket costs....excluding my elbow grease of course.

This car (originally automatic) is being converted to 5 speed and will be equipped with a turbocharged 1.6 5 speed and related hi-perf parts and goodies.

One pic shows how it was found.
Other shows after tinkered with and driven home.

In addition to drivetrain items and various OEM parts, and custom made parts, various 'brands' of aftermarket parts have been aquired during the 'collection' process, including:

Garage Vary
Nakamae
Lecarra
Sola Luna
Voodoo
FM/BEGI
Vishnu
Runabout
Black Racing
Rota
KGWorks
AWD
ILMotorsport
Koni
Ground Control
ACT
and more..... :)

So far the car looks to be on budget.

More to come.

Attachments

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Sounds like fun. More Pics!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Roadster On A Budget

auto pedals out...manual pedals ready to go in
engine and drivetrain out, bay to be cleaned and stripped of excess parts
interior/top, belt moulding etc removed for replacement
only piece in place is vintage fuel lid :)

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
What would be even cooler is if you could lower your budget by a few hundred dollars and enter your car in the Grassroots Motorsports $2008 Challenge and sweep the concours competition.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would be even cooler is if you could lower your budget by a few hundred dollars and enter your car in the Grassroots Motorsports $2008 Challenge and sweep the concours competition.
That would be fun except the rules regarding $$ gained from the car/parts traded etc would disqualify this car. :)
I recouped nearly 1k on the first sale...the hardtop...let alone all the other goodies that came with the original car.

Form the GRM rules....
16) Parts that are not used may be traded or sold up to the initial cost of the car or parts deal. In other words, if you buy a $500 Challenge car, you can recoup up to $500 of your budget by selling parts. (If you do turn a profit on selling parts off the car, we suggest you take your significant other out to dinner to compensate them for having a $2007 car hanging around the house.). Once the recouperation limit has been reached on a car or parts deals, trading is not allowed.

17) The maximum amount of money that can be "recouped" in a budget is $1003.50. This includes parts cars, parts deals and the Challenge car itself.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Gotcha. It'd be neat if you could build this car with nothing more than your time, all the parts and funds for parts coming from selling and/or trading what you don't need.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha. It'd be neat if you could build this car with nothing more than your time, all the parts and funds for parts coming from selling and/or trading what you don't need.
That is pretty much the concept I am using...except the fact I wanted to use some rather expensive parts in the build requires a budget slightly higher then the cost of the original car. I could have easily built a decent looking normally aspirated example from only the original car and related trades/sales etc of unused parts.

This project is two fold...1. on a specified budget, and 2. build to my tastes/requirements....within reason of course.
My concept included FI and the goal of 200 RWHP. It also inlcuded certain styling parts/factors that are not nessessarily inexpensive. To do this on a projected budget of $2500 has required that some priorities be set. I have sold off some cool pieces in order to fund others that are more important...to me. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After examining the rear suspension I noticed more corrosion/rust then I would prefer, especially on and around the sway and brackets and the suspension alignment bolts. The car sat for a time (before I got it)on grass/dirt which is hell on undercarriage.
The front subframe assy is much better and will be retained.

Luckily I have a bashed donor car in my garage which provided me a free rear subframe assy swap. I used this chance while everything was out to install the following on the rear:

1.8 diff with RX7 clutch posi - FREE leftover
Ground Control coilovers - from original 90
Koni adjustable shocks - from original 90

I then installed the entire subframe/diff assy into the body. Nothing like doing it the hard way! :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Current in-stock parts list for this project:

FM2/BEGI turbo setup, GT2560R Garrett, Link ECU, Vishnu rail, RC440s etc etc
1997 5 speed trans
1992 1.6 mill
1.8 diff swap w/ RX7 posi internals (already installed)
Koni yellows/Ground control coilovers (installed)
Garage Vary tail light conversion
Garage Vary front lip
OEM front lip
IL Motorsport hood props
Nakamae console
Katskin leather covered seats w/speakers and seat heaters
Lloyd rubber mats
Various custom interior bits, door straps, panels etc
Voodoo knobs
Sola Luna knobs
AWD gauge faces
Custom gauge faces
KG Works gauge cluster panel
Assorted shiney bits, vent rings etc
KG Works HVAC control chome bits
Blaupunkt headunit, Clarion & JBL speakers
Black Racing old skool 8 spoke modular wheels (sold)
Rota RBs 15x7 30mm, gold w/polished lip (yeah, I like gold wheels on a silver car)
Runabout side mirrors
Retro fuel lid (installed)
Mint OEM vinyl top assy w/plastic zip window
Cloth top assy w/zip glass window
205/50/15 Toyos
ACT clutch & 1.8 flywheel
Power or manual window regulators
LeCarra/Motolita steering wheel
Vintage style cam cover
Chrome camcover

and about 300 other things...

*list is incomplete as done from memory*

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 3 car garage...but 4 Miatae will fit...if its cleaned out. ;)
My basement rec room plans are on permanant hold....full to overflowing with Miata crap.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
wow great project!!! Where do you find cars with rare AWD and Runabout parts? I need to visit that salvage yard!! wow!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow great project!!! Where do you find cars with rare AWD and Runabout parts? I need to visit that salvage yard!! wow!!!
Not all parts are from 'salvage'...some have been obtained via barter/trade/purchase in the secondary market, and a few items have been purchased new with proceeds from extra parts sold.

Runabouts were found used and cheap, although mint. Sale of oem mirrors from the car made that purchase cost ZERO. Actually there was a postive cash gain in that transaction. :)

AWD faces were purchased new from funds obtained from selling extra items that came from the car.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Back from the dead....yes, the project moves at a snails pace. :)

Pedals, heater, steering column, carpet, dash, HVAC control panel, Link ECU, rainrail, and top assy added. 1.8 brake swap and suspension install (Koni/GC) completed as well. Now for a cleaning before engine/trans/turbo combo are added...along with a fabulous one of a kind 'St Marty' exhaust...(to hell with St May. ;))

Perhaps by 2012! :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts