• IRTB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say cost is not an issue. Turbo, supercharger, or irtb? I'm talking fully built and stroked Miata block with fully built head. Which would you prefer? Just curious after reading one of leatherface24's posts. I can see why some turbo guys have gone back to n/a. Know of anyone that has gone from irtb to turbo?

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
I would so dump the GReddy turbo kit for IRTBs except for 3 issues:

1) cost: it would cost me another 2k or so on top of all my greddy parts for IRTB

2) loudness: NA is way louder than turbo

3) CARB issues: GReddy is CARB legal, IRTBs aren't.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If money was no option then I say Forced Induction IRTB setup. The ultimate in power and response like the Mine's Skyline for example. I love all three but it depends on the purpose you are building the car for which should be kept in mind. Supercharger and IRTBs are better for Autocrossing than a turbo. A turbo car on a drag strip or high speed track is more likely to win.

I have a fully built motor and am installing my IRTB's soon as I get the money to get it tuned. I am hoping to be laying down about 180 plus to the wheels. For me that is more than enough for anything I will use the car for. It's not like I'm trying to be the fastest guy on the street. There's always someone faster...

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
drive one of each and youll see why people one one or the other, or all 3. It's all personal preference. I'd love a IRTB, and some days a nice torquey SC setup.

·
2,708 Posts
I know you're gonna love this answer....it depends. :p

Seriously, it all matters what kind of power delivery you prefer or for what kind of driving you do (drag, freeway, autocross, track days, mountain driving, granny, ect)

I was driving a 300hp DSM for awhile and although the boost was/is addicting, it was horrible for the driving I prefer (spirited mountain ), regardless of drivetrain. I prefer responsiveness and the aural enjoyment you can only get from a high-revving NA engine. Hence, my next upgrade is IRTBs. :)

I guess I'm too used to Honda engines.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd go for a nice turbo to irtb setup.

You have a built motor, any way you go, i think you'll be happy with any of them. IRTB's are cool and all, but there's nothing like a turbo kick.

The only way i'd go to IRTB's would be a fully built motor, in an FM westfield.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If money was no object?
I'd find a way to have a Twin Charged IRTB setup :D
Turbo->Super->IRTB :) hehe
No idea if it'd be any good, but it'd be cool :lol:

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I know for a fact I want to go n/a this time around. For me its a matter of switching driver feeling. Having owned some seriously fast turbo'd cars for a while now, I really feel the need for something different. As Ive gotten older, I feel a certain type of "release" from simplicity. I guess the best way I can put it for me is like this:

I get into the Turbo car and immeadiatly think of two things, this is awesome, who's ass im I going to kick in this car.

Feeling like that just puts me in a constantly competitive mood when ever im driving. Even just casualy. So my mind always has some level of seriousness when Im driving the turbo monster.

Now, when I get behind the wheel of the my fathers n/a that im currently building for him, I feel way more relaxed because I just know that im in a relativley "ordinary" miata if you will. I dont have the competivie spirit on the street. I can just really have fun and enjoy the Miata for what its purest form does so well: That is, make you a happier driver and allows you the flexiblity to fling it around like rubber band and not worry about losing control breaking something.

Theres a certain feeling I love about getting in to an n/a car. I love being able to floor it all the time if I want and not worrying about anything really.

Simply put to me: N/A is just more FUN for ME. Its just more fullfilling to ME.

A turbo for me is fun, but also a more "serious" thing . Plus, itll impress alot more people that dont know about our cars. If thats what you want, turbo is for you.

Its time for me to relax for a while, build my next n/a, and know that know matter what, my n/a will be fun on the street, easier, and very competitive on the track. Im tired for now of driving a track monster, both 1/4 and road, on the street.

A good example: Keichi Tsuchiya. This guy drove insanely fast racecars for a living. WHat does he drive and love everyday? An n/a AE86 Hatchiroku.

Jared

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Oh, and a fully built, stroked miata head? If you had the cash to go that route, if you went turbo, you would have to change the drivetrain basicaly so as not to destroy anything. The power gains would deffinatly warrant the turbo IMO.

As far as building an N/A block, sure its cool, but if its all out power your looking for and sacraficing some drivability depending on your target power/boost level then you'll be dissapointed with spending the cash for a built N/a motor.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I feel you have to have more of a Deeper kind of love for a car in its purest form to build and go N/A.

Dont get me wrong, I still have a deep love for Turbo cars. That will never go from me. Having just all out raw power at my disposal is an aweseome feeling. But feeling even a tiny bit obliged to drop the hammer on an unsuspecting moron that comes along every once in a while gets old after a while. Thats just me and my issues to deal with though.

So what kind of driver are you? :-k

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I'd go from my greddy kit to an all out NA motor with IRTB's. Turbo is just cheaper. All motor would be great for auto-x

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd go from my greddy kit to an all out NA motor with IRTB's. Turbo is just cheaper. All motor would be great for auto-x
A NA motor would make an incredible autocross weapon, but a built motor would put you in SM2 (SCCA classing) against 3-rotor RX-7s and Z06 corvettes. If you are not worried about classing NA or supercharging would be great for autox.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does that mean I will be in that class? I have a fully built "1.7" now with IRTB's pending. Though I already know that handling is more important than power on the auto-x track. I used to watch the RE in Corpus take out every cone on the track with his two Z06's. The guys I'd be worried about are the ones from the Porche club. Those punks had modded GT3's and full on GT cars.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Does that mean I will be in that class? I have a fully built "1.7" now with IRTB's pending. Though I already know that handling is more important than power on the auto-x track. I used to watch the RE in Corpus take out every cone on the track with his two Z06's. The guys I'd be worried about are the ones from the Porche club. Those punks had modded GT3's and full on GT cars.
This is only for SCCA Solo2, other clubs have different classing. The BMWCCA locally lets all 2.0L and under, non-bmw cars run together (FI is a 1.5x multiplier for displacement).

As far as handling vs. HP, it is often dictated by course design.

·
Registered
323 Posts
+1 for the all motor guys. I too have owned several turbo cars, but the responsiveness of itb's is unparralled to anything else. plus, in my opinion, itb's are a little more unique. either way, you're better off than stock :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
+1 for the all motor guys. I too have owned several turbo cars, but the responsiveness of itb's is unparralled to anything else. plus, in my opinion, itb's are a little more unique. either way, you're better off than stock :wink:
I saw this setup on the TWM website a little while back and it's impressive!

·
Registered
129 Posts
i pretty sure jimmy from fuji racing made me an irtb believer!
from my personal experience and the way i drive it is alot more fun to drive a n/a car at its limits than haveing a turbo or supercharger car u are constantly haveing to hold back...but i guess it maybe because i live in tn and there are mountains every where and the only roads i would get to open up a higher hp car would be the highways where all the cops are- this just from a daily driving stand point i dont get to the track much...

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you love driving your car through tight twisties or mountain roads IRTB is the ticket. The throttle response and the sound is to die for. Not that you can't enjoy driving a turbo car hard through the twisties, it's just there's so much more risk due to the power delivery. I was in my buddy's '95 single turbo Supra and he decided to "hit it" coming around a small bend. The boost all of a sudden spiked and we almost wrecked! High boost turbo cars are great for highway runs among other things of course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts