ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is there any difference performance-wise with a twin loop compared to the standard muffler? Is it a total scam? If there actually turns out to be a difference,how much and why would this setup make a difference? Please help! I want knowledge!!

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
theyve been out for quite some time, I believe its a knockoff of some big honda tuning company, anyways I dont see the point really

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a Mugen Twin-Loop on my previous car and it was by far the best sounding muffler I've ever heard on a honda..

It's meant for NA cars due to the twin loop "chambered" design. It maintains performance levels of a typical exhaust sytem, but at the same time, it reduces the noise output significantly due to the twin loop pipe design..

I forgot the actually specs, but something like each 180 degree bend in the piping on the muffler compares to 3 or 4 extra feet of straight piping (meaning, it muffles the sound that much more compared to a straight through designed muffler).

The OBX twin loop is supposed to muffle the sound near the efficiency of the Mugen muffler, just that you aren't getting the "brand name."

If I hadn't gotten my hands on the RSR ExMag, that would've been my next option. Mount the twin loop canister sideways like the stock muffler, to a straight 3-4" stainless steel tip out of the bumper.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Mount the twin loop canister sideways like the stock muffler, to a straight 3-4" stainless steel tip out of the bumper.
I will actually be doing this within the next 2 months, Once I start I am going to make a thread about it and pist pics and a sound clip once im done. I am hoping to be the first miata that has done this but I may not be.

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
is that muffler short enough to fit coming out like a normal muffler would?, is the body 27 inches or the entire thing with tip?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Im pretty sure that one is 27 in. for the intire thing, though I will be doing an OBX because you can buy different sizes, I will measure to see which fits best under the car and go from there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the only reason why I would mount it sideways with a custom tip would be to showoff the twin loop design.. the mugen and obx twinloops are manufactured so that it tucks away above the bumper so all you see is the tip and half of the canister from the rear end.

I wanted to showcase the fact that it was a twin loop rather than any other typical straight-through muffler design, and also because i didn't like the tip that comes with the OBX (by mounting it sideways, you can just cut off the OBX tip and reweld a larger custom tip out the rear of the bumper).

If you are really into doing this project, I would love to see a roadster with an actual Mugen JASMA twin-loop muffler fabricated to fit sideways with the Mugen tip extended out the rear of the bumper.. That would've been my ideal setup since I actually owned the real one.. Something away from the ideal trend that I think would be pretty sick.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
cloin, I would like to do the real mugen. BUT there is no way I could chop up an exhaust that costs that much money. maybe if I was going for an all motor design and was looking for something like that, but this is just to try it and until I can boost. reguardless im sure the OBX or Natami will give a decent example of how the mugen would sound.

·
Registered
97 Posts
cloin, I would like to do the real mugen. BUT there is no way I could chop up an exhaust that costs that much money. maybe if I was going for an all motor design and was looking for something like that, but this is just to try it and until I can boost. reguardless im sure the OBX or Natami will give a decent example of how the mugen would sound.
oh yeah no doubt. Just saying that it would be crazy to see the actual Mugen modified on a roadster :). The OBX/Natami twin loops would still give you a great sounding exhaust pitch regardless.

If you're going boost, an expensive NA setup would definitely not be worth your money like you said, UNLESS, you do an exhaust cutout :lol:.. could keep the NA sound until you want boost efficiency.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
oh yeah no doubt. Just saying that it would be crazy to see the actual Mugen modified on a roadster :). The OBX/Natami twin loops would still give you a great sounding exhaust pitch regardless.

If you're going boost, an expensive NA setup would definitely not be worth your money like you said, UNLESS, you do an exhaust cutout :lol:.. could keep the NA sound until you want boost efficiency.
wow, I dont know why but that hasnt occured to me yet, granted I havent put too much thought into what I was going to do once I boosted but that might be the way I go. I will prolly be starting this build on the second of April.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts