ClubRoadster.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Monumental waste of money, weight, time, and materials.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not necessarily.

The SC provides good low end grunt and the turbo takes over for the top end duties. VW has a Polo GT that uses twincharging on a 1.4 liter engine that lays down 148 or so hp and still manages almost 40mpg. In terms of motorsport, one need look no further than the Lancia Delta for massively self destructive amounts of power from a tiny engine.

If engineered correctly (VW), it can reap great benefits.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
For the money spent you could just get a non-crappy turbo and manifold with decent tuning to gain the same effects.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Follow up:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42009

That's my friend's Miata with a junkyard T25 and spare-part turbo setup. It could be a little neater, but for a BP that's a great. I am used to the FS family of Mazda motors (where more torque than horsepower is almost a given) but the saying that turbos have to have lag is a MYTH.

A properly chosen turbo setup will have nearly, if not, no lag. A twincharger is for show cars or just showing off a mechanic's skills. It's not practical and it's not even necessary.

Forget the fact I already drive a turbo-charged car every day, but I'll let my dyno of my Miata do the talking this winter.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Goddammit, you guys need to cut it out with the **** measuring contest.

If you insist on making a point, please do so with factual evidence and some numbers or specs, not comments on how your car is better because....

If you insist on negatively commenting on, or providing an alternate viewpoint on another's car or setup, please explain WHY you are doing so, not just loosely throw opinions around.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Follow up:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42009

That's my friend's Miata with a junkyard T25 and spare-part turbo setup. It could be a little neater, but for a BP that's a great. I am used to the FS family of Mazda motors (where more torque than horsepower is almost a given) but the saying that turbos have to have lag is a MYTH.

A properly chosen turbo setup will have nearly, if not, no lag. A twincharger is for show cars or just showing off a mechanic's skills. It's not practical and it's not even necessary.

Forget the fact I already drive a turbo-charged car every day, but I'll let my dyno of my Miata do the talking this winter.
But the point is with a set up like this you could have a larger turbo making more peak power without having lag because of the assistance of the supercharger. Yes a properly chosen turbo can have no lag, but that's not the whole point we're dealing with here. IMO it's not a waste of money, but I don't think i'd have enough money for the countless hours of dyno tuning alone it would require and would never do it on a car of my own unless I hit the lotto jackpot.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Goddammit, you guys need to cut it out with the **** measuring contest.
Not to mention it's someone else's **** (Miata) you're offering for measurement :lol:

Seriously though wtf is it with all the recent attitude on this board? :?: #-o
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but when certain cars become more popular you inevitably attract some ricerbois. It happened with the WRX crowd so I dropped out of SoCal Impreza Club. Playful banter is fine, but some people just don't know when to not be a ****, but it will happen whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
wow.....by the time i got to the bottom of reading thi thread, i forgot what the hell it was initially about.

I think the twin charging idea is cool. Just not all that practial and cost consious for the benefits. Ive driven a 2.0 Flyin Miata Turbo car and let me tell you, as opposed to my turbo miata with a stock engine, that had ALMOST 0 lag. Mine has very little. Not noticable if you have never driven a turbo car before but it is there

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'll go video tape the boost gauge on my Protege and you tell me when I hit max boost. Then we can talk about how fast turbos take to spool.
Don't bother with that. I've been in MSP's plenty of times. The power is rather underwhelming. If you don't already have them, get hardpipes, downpipe, exhaust, fmic, mbc, maybe some fuel control. THEN you can maybe go hang with some SRT-4's.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I'll go video tape the boost gauge on my Protege and you tell me when I hit max boost. Then we can talk about how fast turbos take to spool.
Don't bother with that. I've been in MSP's plenty of times. The power is rather underwhelming. If you don't already have them, get hardpipes, downpipe, exhaust, fmic, mbc, maybe some fuel control. THEN you can maybe go hang with some SRT-4's.

Who is talking about power? I am talking about boost time and power delivery. You're the one trying to call me out like I don't know what I am talking about.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.