ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, its not the latest internet shock video, its a dilemma i have for an upcoming autocross.

I just signed up my miata for a SCCA autocross at the bank atlantic center with a "weekend membership" like i usually do. I have a friend who wants to race using my car, and i figured if he paid for a differant class than mine that ran while i was working on the course, we could take turns running the car.

Now before i ask my friend to spend 45 bucks on his first autocross, what would be the best way to guerentee we would both be able to run without overlapping? Usually they split the classes up on the day of. If anyone is involved with SCCA Florida or the bank atlantic center event, i would really love the help. Thank you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why not just run in the same class? There are many drivers that run the same car in the same class. They just basically run your car twice as often as the rest of the cars in the run group.

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts
at my local autox, double drivers in same class just run in the double driver lane, they do 8 laps in the time the first heat does 4 laps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just run in the same class? There are many drivers that run the same car in the same class. They just basically run your car twice as often as the rest of the cars in the run group.

That could work. I just figured it would be easier for all involved fpr one driver to be working while the other one drove.

The grid marshalls are hobbyists like the rest of us and easy to confuse. Last time i raced each car was supposed to get 4 runs, i sat waiting to be called for my total of 3 runs while the same sikver corvette raced 9 times. That frustrated me but i understand, what i dont want is ky friend laying $45 for an autocross and the marshall says "dont pick that car, he ran already".

Are you in SCCA-Florida? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I would try to run in two different groups. this way one works while the other runs. I know will not be good if you want to learn from each other, but you will avoid the whole "that car already run" situation. I'm not sure can be done cause I'm not experienced in the subject, but is worth trying. Seeing you will run at BAC, I think they got a good system going on there. I saw last time I was there they did a good job in managing the 2 driver cars. They actually put the 2 drivers car on a side of the grid, so they don't blend with the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
That's the way i've seen it done

They have a second lane so you each get your runs in

·
Registered
185 Posts
We use a sticker on the windshield that you get when the car is teched. There will be one for each driver, listed as car numbers. It is up to you to change the car numbers. When each car number/driver comes to the line, one run is checked off on the sticker.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? A woman who designed the route rode-along in my car (pictured to the left) the first time i autocrossed at BAC (or at all) , asked if i had done any karting before. I responded with only video game experience, was that you? Would have been maybe march.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You have an aversion to flat spotted tires :woolery:
+1 your car likely doesnt have ABS , does your friend know how to drive without it?

otherwise I see you spending money on new tires after the event ..

trust me i know..

also if you run at the same time , there really is no confusion , you have 2 stickers , each sticker gets marked once . per driver .

depending on your tires this may help , or you may need a sprayer

the R-s3s on my miata loved to be used by 2 drivers because they got nice and hot , other tires may or may not be the same . read upa bit on your tires and see how they fare when getting overheated . if they dont do well , geta sprayer or a ghetto 1 dollar sprayer like mine . that doubles as a water bottle!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Really? A woman who designed the route rode-along in my car (pictured to the left) the first time i autocrossed at BAC (or at all) , asked if i had done any karting before. I responded with only video game experience, was that you? Would have been maybe march.
Nope was not me. The person to which you refer is Teddie, 7 Ft tall amazon-looking woman! My name is DJ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts