ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at tyres for my R S Watanabe's :

F : 16 x 8.5
R : 16 x 9

I was looking at Toyo Proxes T1R's and was advised by my local supplier that the tyre sizes I should be looking at are :

F : 225/50/16
R : 245/45/16

I don't know why she advised the lower profile for the rear but I had a quick look at the specs on Chris Lee's car and he is running :

F : 16 x 9 with 225/45/16 which is what I have just been told would be suitable for my 8.5 wide fronts !!?

I am really confused now !

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Keep in mind that the first three numbers are tire width in mm, and the second two is the sidewall height in a percentage of the tire width (aspect Ratio). A shorter profile in the rear was selected because the rear tire is 20mm wider, so you would want a the aspect ratio to be smaller to keep it about the same size as the front but not getting too tall.

Most people would run same size front and rear tires on a miata, unless making insane power. Those 225's would fit on the front, the tires would just be stretched a bit more.

There is no real one size fits all for this setup. You will have flares, right? How much power are you putting down? do you like the look of stretched tires?

All things to consider!

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, I see I didn't realise that the second figure was a ratio of the width ... I thought it was the height of the tire DOH !!!

I am not crazy keen on stretched tyres as it kind of defeats the purpose of having the wide rims if you see what I mean, I have the Tuckin99 wide N12 flares so I should have plenty room to spare !

I am aiming towards a naturally aspirated 150hp so they won't have to cope with outrageous amounts of power

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do you want the staggered look? It's definately not the best for performance, but it does look cool. However you could enjoy some nice understeer. And on both of those sizes, the tire diamter will be larger than stock so your speedo will be off a bit(You'll be going faster than your speedo reads).

Your going to have a very hard time getting tires to come out accurately I think.
The reason they are suggesting a larger profile tire for the front is because a 225 on a 8.5" wheel is going to stretch a bit, and so the slightly larger profile (2 mm by the numbers) should equal out in the end when stretched.

But if those are the sizes your looking at, look at the Hankook Z212's as well. They have those sizes.

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not really into the staggered look ... I realise that the speedo reading is going to be slightly out so I will have to think of a way around that :?

there are so many speed cameras here in the UK and if you get caught several times you can loose your licence for anything from 6 months - 1 year depending on what percentage you were caught over the limit so knowing your exact speed is pretty important !!!

thanks for the advice

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
225/45-16 for the fronts

as for the rears, most the 9's tire sizes are for the larger rims like 17, 18, 19x9 so its a bit of an odd size to find a tire for? not sure on that one. For some reason i thought you have the spacers or extended a-arms?

maybe visit the tire manufactures website and see what they recommend.

PhatMiata

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I will have to check out with them to see what they have to say ... I really wan't to make the right choice as these tyres are pretty expensive and with the cost of the wheels, flares, bodywork and paint the wide arch look is an expensive route to go down :?

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just spoken to the UK Toyo guy :

he reckons that the best sizes to go with that won't effect speedo reading are :

F : 215 / 40 / 16
R : 245 / 35 / 16

there will be a little stretching on the fronts which I suppose doesn't bother me too much and the rears will remain nice and phat ... these sizes will mean that no recalibration of the speedo drive will be required as the overall diameter of the wheels will remain the same as standard OEM values

if this combination is problematic in any other way please let me know as I only want to have to buy one set !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts