ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
LL cool Dave
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members.

I started this thread to maybe get some pointers and advice. I will be enlisting to the Navy (well at least attempting to) on Nov 29.

I've waited long enough to make this decision. Im 24 years old and i have nothing to show for my self that i can be proud of :cry2: My choices have lead me down this path and I only have myself to blame. A little background on why I waited so long and what made me decide to finally finalize my decision...

I've always wanted to be in some sort of law enforcement. Before i graduated highschool, i was interested in joining the military. I wasn't scared to join more so thought i'd loose out on my "young party life." I attended college for a couple of semesters and partying got the best of me. One year later after graduating highschool, I got thrown in jail simply for recording a friend for getting arrested by harrasing officers. The same officer hit me while in the holding tank and i just defended myself. Sure the officer ended up with 12 stitches on his chin but I got charged with "battery on a peace officer" got sentenced to 30 days in Los Angeles Jail and my road became that much harder. Luckily because I had no previous record as an adult or juvenile, i was a full time student and had a full time job, my charge was dropped to a "misdemeanor" and not a "felony." Of course employers see the "battery on peace officer" and turn you away. It's been very very hard since this happened. I've been from job to job not making good money.

Well last year, my girlf friend gave birth to my beautiful daughter and I have nothing to offer but my love. I was able to return to school because financial aid finally approved me. only challenge was being able to focus on school, work a full time job to support my daughter and be a dad. Well making just a few bucks above minimum wage, living at home and trying to support a family just doesnt happen.

Well, the decision came simply because I want to finish school. The Navy offers a "computer science" program and that was my major when i was attending school. I plan on making a career out of the Navy. I'm not joining just because i cant find a job (i do have a job by the way lol) or because i want to get away. I want to join because i want to serve, make a career and hopefully have my daughter look up to me as she grows up and be proud of her dad. I feel i really want this for all the right reasons and i will make the best of it.

Well enough of a little background of me lol

I know some of you have joined who are currently active or vets. What i'd like to know is, what should i ask the recruiter? What were some of the things you would of asked when first enlisting? whats the process like? how do you like/liked it?

any bit of information is good whether good or bad

thanks guys, i really appreciate it

·
Mnt Climber/ Trail Runner
180 Posts
Former Army here, if your recruiter was able to go trough your arrest (which is no small token in this day and age, the Air Force is laying off), then yes you are doing the right thing.

If being LEO still interest you, A) applied for that in the Navy. Once you are Law Enforcement Certified in the Military, it is a BREEZE to get law enforcement certified within the Federal Govt. That doesn't mean the being a Special Agent or Criminal Investigator, but Uniform Police for the Forest Service or the Veterans Adm pays DAMN well. Something to think about I guess. Be mindful, those Fed Jobs I just told you about are age limited to 37 YO or younger.

Good luck and GODSPEED.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well first off, thats quite a life story already. Second, good on you for wanting to better yourself and provide for your family.

As a separated active duty Air Force member and current Air National Guard participant, i would like to urge you to consider the AF over Navy (if as stated above, you can get around the conviction). Im not saying the Navy isnt good, but lets be honest, the Air Force has a reputation of being 'cushier' for a reason. Now that being said, for a family man, i think the lifestyle of the AF is more in tune with a family man than any other branch. With 'deployments' no longer than 4 months (mostly to nice areas), and a ranking system which doesnt necessarily look down upon its newer members, i think that is the way to go for someone who wants to be there for their young child. My knowledge and scope of the Navy is limited, but now working with 3 individuals from different backgrounds all move over to the Air Force for the same reason, i think it begins to paint a picture of the "Mission First, People Always" motto we use.

Now i dont recall the AF having anything like CS in its arsenal, but there are many different opportunities to gain the skills similar to CS. From communications, to Aircraft Avionics (which i do, but dont really advise doing), or even basic IT type of work. All can get you a good foundation for what you are looking for. But any avenue you take, i would again recommend the AF as they really go out of their way to help you succeed in taking college classes to better yourself and your workplace.

A recruiter will basically try to get you in the door as fast as possible. Not saying they wont work with you, but their main goal is conversion, not your dream. Talk with as many people as possible in your desired field, however you can. Find out the good and bad. The process should be straight forward, take the ASVAB, do the paperwork, wait, and they ship off to boot camp. If you have any memory of highschool math and science, you should do well on the ASVAB and that will allow you more choices when it comes to your job. If you dont do well enough, i suggest you wait and practice, and take it a second time (i think they limit it to 2 tries).

If I had to do my enlistment over again, i would definitely have picked a different job. I love working on aircraft, but after the initial training, i feel it didnt help me grow in what i was interested in. The same applies for a lot of enlisted jobs, but if you do well and use the money they GIVE you each year for school, then you can earn a degree and move up to bigger and better things.

Hope it helps, and feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

·
180 Posts
No doubt the AF is the way to go. It is also the hardest one to get into, and for good reason.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Whichever branch you choose, let me be the first to thank you for doing your part not only for your family but for the entire nation as well! I salute you!!!

---
- Ken B. posted this from his iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
845 Posts
They don't call it the chair force for nothing man. Join the navy to see the world. I've been to 5 different countries multiple times but being in the navy makes family life TOUGH, especially subs (I think it is 70%...maybe more).

Whichever service you join remember they will OWN you, so you will ultimately be doing whateverthefuck they want. That being said try to get everything you can when jointing. It at least doesn't hurt to ask. Also make sure you do plenty of research on the job you want to do and figure out a few fall back jobs. Try to find the manning percentage for the jobs you want to see what your chances of actually getting it/them are (you could pm me and I could try to check for you if you needed help).

Lastly make sure, like 100% sure, your wife wants to do this also. Once you join it is pretty hard (and terribly lame) to get out. Make sure she knows what she is in for because not every wife realizes it is work to be married to a military guy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
...? It's a big decision for someone to make.
Nevermind the ethug newb, he's just too bad arse! Probably an Iranian troll or something. Can't wait to murder another American cause we rape their women and children and steal all their oil! :tsk:

---
- Ken B. posted this from his iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
180 Posts
They don't call it the chair force for nothing man. Join the navy to see the world. I've been to 5 different countries multiple times but being in the navy makes family life TOUGH, especially subs (I think it is 70%...maybe more).

Whichever service you join remember they will OWN you, so you will ultimately be doing whateverthefuck they want. That being said try to get everything you can when jointing. It at least doesn't hurt to ask. Also make sure you do plenty of research on the job you want to do and figure out a few fall back jobs. Try to find the manning percentage for the jobs you want to see what your chances of actually getting it/them are (you could pm me and I could try to check for you if you needed help).

Lastly make sure, like 100% sure, your wife wants to do this also. Once you join it is pretty hard (and terribly lame) to get out. Make sure she knows what she is in for because not every wife realizes it is work to be married to a military guy.

100% Agreed.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
From the little back ground you just shared , you might get denied for having a dependent (unless you're married). I swore in to the navy last July, and I can tell you now it wasn't as easy as I thought. People weren't getting jobs ( I had to wait three days to get a rating at meps). I also had a few ticjets that I had to bring records for. Hopefully they'll waiver your misdemeanor.

As for jobs there are a variety, o only, and I mean only if you score higher than 80 on you're asvab. You can also get bonuses for scoring high.

My leave is in march of next year and I'm pretty damn excited.

·
180 Posts
US NAVY = Party at every port, and lots of chicks waiting in every port too!! WooT WooT!! The other branches just hate on us because we get global pussy!!!

Or the good 'ol inhouse "Love Boat" loving... :woolery:

·
180 Posts
Another option is the USCG. Those guys have a HUGE inside track for Border Patrol/ Customs jobs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
After being in (USAF) for a bit and talking to other services the USCG is the way to go if you have a family. Locations are usually very family friendly and the service itself is less military-ish which is a good thing. It will always be a challenge no matter what you chose, but you have the bonus of outside of school life-experience going for you. I went in at 26 and the things that stress my younger peers are no big deal to me because i've already dealt with it before. PT may be a bit harder though, make sure to run alot and try to make a passing PT score using the charts online before you go in. This will help with the stress of passing PT in basic training.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't listen to Astroboy, they're up in Alaska, in winter, punching holes in greenies just like the NAVY. And laying off dinosaurs too. Thats if you want sea duty and not fixing markers in Astoria.

+1 with everyone here who said the Navy is tough on family life. Be prepared to spend alot of time away at sea. Make sure its cool with your wife, and you're ok with your kid changing lots before you see them next. That said, US Navy has more and better toys than anyone else, (think UK, Canada etc), so you can pick just about any deployment possible. If you want to up your pay, try aircrew. Hazard pay if you can get on. The more skills you have the more you get paid.

Just remember to visualize where you want to be and don't settle for anything less. It'll take years but it'll happen. The more confidence you have in what you want, the more it will be realized. I strongly urge you to consider going the officer route although I'm sure to get slammed on that one.. it pays off later.

Good luck!

·
180 Posts
^ Nothing to be slammed about getting commisioned, if you can swing it. Not a day goes by that I wish that after serving enlisted, I shoul've served as a commisioned officer. I have my ex-fiancee #2 to thank for that one. Jojo, you are the curse that keep's on giving... :scream:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts