ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... worst day of my life.

Anyways, i was going to visit my friends in the hospital when a guy ran a red light and smashed into my right rear. The miata then spun around and got stuck between a tree and a light pole....

they guy is saying he had green. I said that he didnt, and so did my passenger. But i dont know what's going to happen. The guy was a crazy british dude who got out and immediately started screaming at me, calling me a "fucking idiot wanker." He also said i "dont deserve to be on this planet"

other than the smashed in rear 1/4, the car is pretty much fine.

The thing is, this was my first accident. Im only 19 and im in college, so my parents are about 800 miles away. I have no idea what to do.

The cop couldnt tell me where the car would be taken, and i couldnt wait for the wrecker to arrive because i had to get in the ambulance. The car is very modified (link'd greddy, intercooled, 1.8l diff, etc), and is worth a lot to me, but im betting the ins. company will total it.

I would like to get it back to take all the parts off it, but i dont have a driveway or garage to put it in.... what the hell do i do?!

Anyone know anyone in the savannah ga area?

Here it was before the accident...

after

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
that car is very totaled.... the ins. co will probably give you little for it.

Let us know how it turns out..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awe man thats a shame, it always sucks when something you cherish so much gets damaged, even moreso when its not your fault, then doubly if the moron who hit you starts claiming it was your fault!

I think that if you have a passenger that can vouch that you had the green light, you'll probably be fine legally or insurance wise.

However, I wonder, is the quarter panel welded on in the Miata? :confused: If its replacable you might want to consider replacing that yourself if you are mechanically inclined or something.

Anyhow, I'm real sorry to see this happened to you, I really hope the aresehole who smashed your pride and joy gets whats coming to him, and wish you the best of luck getting your car repaired in an inexpensive and timely manner.

·
Registered
332 Posts
best thing to do is...get all your performance parts sell it.. insurance will give you minimal.. your diff is done for it..since there is a notch on the passenger side arm of the diff that if you get in any kinda accident in the rear end..the arm will break. best bet is sell all your parts for a pretty good price and your insurance will give you some money...you'll have enough money for another miata...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i have to agree w/ slydin.

it looks like there's probably some rear suspension damage too, so definitely the car is totalled.

sorry dude, that's just a tough situation nobody ever wants to be in.

·
3,857 Posts
Just be happy that both of you are still alive...getting in an accident in an NA is something very risky...
Seriously...think about it!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I feel your pain, I've been there.

From your two pictures, its looks to me that the necessary bodywork will exceed the value of the car. BUT DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. Do your own research and your own damage appraisal. People will tell you that your car is not worth repairing, but you are the one that needs to determine this. If you can find somewhere to store your car do it, it will make your life a lot easier. Call up junkyards and find out prices for damaged stuff, the body work will need to be repaired professionally. Suspension parts are cheap and plentiful (in my area anyway).

Life just dealt you a crappy hand. But remember this happens a lot, you will be fine. (unless the doctors say otherwise).

·
Registered
517 Posts
best thing to do is...get all your performance parts sell it.. insurance will give you minimal.. your diff is done for it..since there is a notch on the passenger side arm of the diff that if you get in any kinda accident in the rear end..the arm will break. best bet is sell all your parts for a pretty good price and your insurance will give you some money...you'll have enough money for another miata...
Are you sure about this? Maybe it doesn't apply to NBs?

·
Registered
586 Posts
You need to get your car back before they do the estimate....Take the parts off. Because when I totaled mine with all the parts I had on it. They did the estimate and didn't let me take anything off the car. Including my beloved GV Nostalgic taillights. Be smart and get your car back fast.

·
Registered
586 Posts
trust me just get back or you can say by to the parts on your car. The insurance company will not give you ANYTHING for the parts. Zipp, Zero, NADA. In other words the parts we're all a waste of money. There is not a day that goes by that I regret not taking the parts off. Because you start all over again.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
You need to get your car back before they do the estimate....Take the parts off. Because when I totaled mine with all the parts I had on it. They did the estimate and didn't let me take anything off the car. Including my beloved GV Nostalgic taillights. Be smart and get your car back fast.
In that situation remember that its your car, not theirs. If they want to get your parts, make them pay or sign the paperwork turning the car over to them.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Actually, when they total your car they'll cut you a check for what its worth in the general area. Or you can bring the receipts for all of the aftermarket stuff and say this was on it and what its worth. This topic is very sensitive to certain insurance companies but give it a try, worked for me. Finally, you have the option to buy it back as is (around $500).

You can then use the money to buy another miata and swap the parts off the old miata onto the new one.

**Also, if you and your passenger were injured and you need to see a chiropractor, please do! Depending on the extent of the injury, they'll let you see a chiro. for about 1-2 months. Hire a lawyer, you 'll get a nice check at the end which covers your medical bill plus more and any days you might of missed worked.

If my response seems jumbled, its because im in a rush.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry to hear that man... I would say, body damage alone will be about $2000 to$3000... let them total it and buy the car back from them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well I have State Farm and they don't reimburse for any kind of performance modification. Because they bring down the actuall cost of the car. They only reimburse for rims and any kind of stereo equipment.

I know because my friend got his car left on bricks...They got brand new rims with tires and not only did they replace his system they also gave him a kickass amp, a capacitor(which he didn't have before, and brand new Kicker component speakers...did I mention a Clifford Alarm. He also has State Farm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts