1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mnt Climber/ Trail Runner
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Juve per sempre
3,498 Posts
Money is money, that one discharged shot might as well have been to the 'mma' fighters body.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I think he means that while it's great that the would-be mugger got beat up, he doesn't think it is worth the risk to try to fight the guy instead of just give up the money. That accidental shot could just as easily have ended up hitting the victim instead of the mugger. Being an MMA fighter doesn't mean you're immune to bullets.

-Ryan

·
Supporting Member
446 Posts
It might not have been worth him risking getting shot over whatever money he had. But, his actions have gotten this guy arrested. Had he not stood up to him, many other people would have been mugged in the future, and maybe one of those future victims, who is less capable, would have stood up to him. They probably wouldn't have been as successful

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hmm, this is an interesting discussion. I wonder if the MMA fighter would have acted differently if he was with his wife and kids. How does one decide when to stand up and risk personal harm or to lay down and hope the guy doesnt cap you after hes had his way with your wallet.

GO

·
Juve per sempre
3,498 Posts
only if you don't believe in god you heathen... Tebow disapproves!
Que? :mrgreen:

Hmm, this is an interesting discussion. I wonder if the MMA fighter would have acted differently if he was with his wife and kids. How does one decide when to stand up and risk personal harm or to lay down and hope the guy doesnt cap you after hes had his way with your wallet.

GO
At any rate, you will need to evaluate how likely he is to shoot you after the mugging.

If he's way way off on drugs, the right choice might be to defend.

For the most I would think that most muggers (gun point, knife, hands, group) mostly want a hassle free and swift exit.

This is not to say that defending yourself is wrong, it just isn't the wisest option at all times.

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

GO

I'd like to think that most people are smart enough to know when to be defensive (protective) or offensive (become the attacker).

With that said I already know that most people, sadly are not smart enough. This time, this fighter did the right things, but yes it was at a great risk. I'm glad he succeeded, but yeah that one bullet very easily could have maimed the fighter for life...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Same thing happened a while back. Jon Jones (another UFC fighter, and a badass one at that) got into a struggle with a mugger. Neeless to say, Jon Jones whooped his ass.

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
I'd like to think that most people are smart enough to know when to be defensive (protective) or offensive (become the attacker).

With that said I already know that most people, sadly are not smart enough. This time, this fighter did the right things, but yes it was at a great risk. I'm glad he succeeded, but yeah that one bullet very easily could have maimed the fighter for life...
If you're confronted by a gun-wielding mugger, I doubt "smarts" come into play. I'm fairly sure most people would be freaked as hell.. and just hand over whatever was asked from them.

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you're confronted by a gun-wielding mugger, I doubt "smarts" come into play. I'm fairly sure most people would be freaked as hell.. and just hand over whatever was asked from them.

True, there is also reaction and if you have trained to deal with it. The wisest thing my not be the smartest thing and viceversa. Still, I for one I'm happy that the good guys won this one...

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't think any of us really know what we'd do in this situation, however, it is great to see someone stand up to cowards like this mugger/carjacker. Hopefully it will discourage other from similar crimes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts