ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of stumbled upon this thread reading other articles over the weekend:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/323773-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

It started out asking about the Mulholland street racing scene in the 60s and 70s and a particular car. People in those 'clubs' from that time start chiming in, reminiscing about their cars, adventures on Mulholland and other stuff. It's about 300 pages of comments and I'm only on page 7, but I found it a really cool read.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
once i got to page 7 or 8, more people started showing up to recount stories. i never knew so many famous drivers and tuners came from that era and group!

love this 427 porsche:

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's reaally cool. i think i have seen that porsche at a C&C before...

as the stories go on, more and more people are posting pictures from those days. it's cool to see the group progress from 60's euros and american iron to early datsuns (510s and 240s) and bimmers in the 70s to techno japanese cars in the 80's. the old hot rodding techniques they used are pretty interesting to read, the shops they used. lots of BRE/SSS 510 stuff. their adventures of sneaking into willow springs in the middle of the night and doing hot laps in the dark are awesome!

just really fascinating to read.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was on this stretch of road last Saturday. (I like to pretend I'm James Dean) It's beat to **** though! You'd think the homeowners on Mulholland Dr. would demand it gets fixed.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Steve I love hearing the stores on that link of you in your pre miata Model-T. . .

Alll jokes asides that **** is so awsome. Back before the dawn of rice.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You so funny. :\

When you start reading about their 'hot setups' you start thinking,"holy shite! that's so low tech!" when you consider the best shocks they had were DA Konis on cut or heated springs, swing arms, leaf and torsion arm suspensions. Their tires were biased-ply radials or re-caps. Then look at the engine tech. These guys sharpened their skills on those roads, made friendships from the comraderie and pushed each other on the track. Very cool stuff.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If only GMR was anything like that. :sigh

closest we have a doushey ricers with cold air intakes.

Thumbs up tho for one of the best auto reads in a long time,.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If only GMR was anything like that. :sigh

closest we have a doushey ricers with cold air intakes.

Thumbs up tho for one of the best auto reads in a long time,.

You're only getting the waxing nostalgia, there were just as many 'ricers' (squids) running around back then.

Nothing ever changes.

:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts