ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i saved money for racelands and read all of the threads on racelands, and then i did what no man has done before in my position... and saved even more money. not much more but more. i saw some suggestions in the threads like megan ez streets or fm kits for functionality for the once a month autoxer but those are a little more than i'd like to spend and i've waited/saved long enough to finally get rid of my blown stock setup.

are there any 500-600 dollar level coils that i could get that have adjustable shocks?
uses for the car include DD to school/work.
once helmet is bought, autox in the summer. maybe once or twice a month though because of work so i guess there's more emphasis on the DD factor of the setup.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i guess nvm. after reading even more tabbed windows that i preloaded fm vmaxx coils are 595 without shipping and seem to be recommended by a lot of people. i'm gonna keep reading and see if i can at least go a little lower than "not slammed thread" low.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You're a good man. Lol.
Either V-Maxx or Megans. I don't have personal experience with either, but, I know that both are very good entry-level coilovers. I'm sure more people would recommend V-Maxx over Megan's, but, that's what I've noticed. I'd say do some searching, and see who has Megans, and who has some V-Maxxs, and ask each person their opinions and Pros/Cons.

That's my .02

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Vmaxx are Racelands, well Rokkors but its the same exact thing.

Just have different springs and bumpstops.

Bilstien and ground control is what I would do.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Vmaxx are Racelands, well Rokkors but its the same exact thing.

Just have different springs and bumpstops.

Bilstien and ground control is what I would do.
Unfortunately this is a common misconception that has been proven otherwise. Though they are similar, VMAXX are NOT racelands.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
I was pretty sure I read in several places that Vmaxx used the Rokkor dampeners and Rokkor and Raceland is produced by the EXACT same company.

Either way I don't feel its worth the 595

·
Registered
400 Posts
AGX/Ground Control is what I'm shooting for.
It's a decent combo from what I've heard.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
For the love of god please don't tell this man to buy agx's.

Save a couple hundred more. Piece together your own GC/Koni or Bilstein kit with NB hats or FCM's. Or if you just want everything to show up at once ready to slam in I would seriously consider 949's NB hat Tein Street Advance except switch the front springs out for 8 or 9k and add a Racing Beat Tubular front bar.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,358 Posts
AGX/Ground Control is what I'm shooting for.
It's a decent combo from what I've heard.
AGX is meh at best. I'd probably buy vmaxx before agx. You could just save up some more and get shocks that won't blow, both literally and figuratively. Koni yellows are $130/shock, bilsteins are 120/shock

·
Registered
55 Posts
For the love of god please don't tell this man to buy agx's.

Save a couple hundred more. Piece together your own GC/Koni
Agreed the Konis would be a better setup but would be hard to pull off on the OP's $600 budget.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
For 700, you can just lurk the forums for used suspension for sale. On mt.net, I have often seen Tein Flex or Stance coilovers go for that price............and you could find a qa1 spring and koni race/sport setup used for that amount easily

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am having this same problem. Deciding weather I want megan ez streets, vmaxx or Bilstein and some lowering springs.

VMAXX 595 not shipped

Megan 699 shipped......might be cheaper other places
http://www.aptuned.com/miata-MR-CDK-MMX590-EZ

Bilsteins $453.72 Shipped
http://www.shockwarehouse.com
Bumpstops $100 not shipped (FM)
Springs.....Saw a brand new Teins, on CR 4 sale.. $100

$653.72 total

Oh and tax :(

I am leaning towards the Vmaxx, its a good product with a great reputation, mainly for the price.......still need to do a lot of research, but I figure anything of these products would be a nice upgrade for my NB with over 100K

Not everyone needs to have $1000 setups

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the only problem i have with buying used is that i'm sol if i needed to cash in on any warranty. granted if my new setup wasn't "professionally" installed i'd be in the same spot but at least i'd have the option.
I'm also pretty positive that fm vmaxx's are not rokkors/racelands at all. from threads and knowing fm they wouldn't sell/endorse racelands.

i kinda knew i might get hit with the, "you've saved long enough, just save some more" a little bit but like norcalkillin mentioned not everyone needs a $1k setup when they aren't racing 99% of the time.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
V-maxx are NOT Rokkor/Racelands. Just because they're the same color scheme does not mean they're the same. :fp:

FM V-Maxx have great, track-proven performance. The customer support is awesome. They come with a warranty. They're not too stiff to DD. As a matter of fact, I have not seen a legitimate complaint about them thus far.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Unfortunately this is a common misconception that has been proven otherwise. Though they are similar, VMAXX are NOT racelands.
i had race lands on my NA. shocks blew out within 6 months. a big waste of money. for the price of race lands and then to replace them i could have bought a $1200-$1500 ohlins set. i really doubt flyin miata would sell such a low quality system. i did upgrade to megans after the race lands. i auto-x'ed on them. i liked them more then the Stance on my NB.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
V-maxx are NOT Rokkor/Racelands. Just because they're the same color scheme does not mean they're the same. :fp:

FM V-Maxx have great, track-proven performance. The customer support is awesome. They come with a warranty. They're not too stiff to DD. As a matter of fact, I have not seen a legitimate complaint about them thus far.
Or you could just buy regular Vmaxx and pick the springs you want as opposed to paying for the FM markup. The valving is the same.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts