ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after much consideration I've decided to order a set of Tein Basics for my NA. I read about upgrading the upper shock mounts and bushings to those of the NB and figured it'd be a good thing to do while I'm installing the coilovers, but I also read that the new mounts can interfere with aftermarket intake kits. I've got the Racing Beat High Flow in my car and I'm wondering if anyone here has tried running both NB upper mounts and the RB intake in their car. One of the mounting brackets is actually attached to a bolt of the shock mount and the intake itself rests only about 1.5 inches above, so it's a little doubtfull at this point - I absolutely refuse to replace that old stock airbox. Or, it would also be very helpful if someone could just give me an idea of how much higher the NB mount will protrude from the wheel well. Any advice is welcome.
Oh, and if anyone can recommend a cheap, trustworthy vendor to order my Teins from It'd be much appreciated.
kurt

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
the fronts you wont need any more travel, just the rear.

i have a set of stance pillowball upper mounts that im willing to sell

pm me if you're interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So putting NB mounts in the front is really not worth the cost? The mounts are so cheap it seems even minor benefits would merit the upgrade. But if it's really unecessary, I guess thats all the better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, that's good to know. I think I can get by using my spring compressor and just replacing the old bushings, but I still wonder if there are any performance benefits to be had by replacing the whole front mounts. The roads aren't bad where I live, so if people rarely hit the bump stops in the front then I'll save my money. I do intend to lower my car quite a bit (still want to clear low speed bupms). Has anyone with a lowered NA wished for more travel up front?

·
Registered
31 Posts
http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCMmounts.htm

They make a kit to allow NB shock mounts on an NA. You can read all about what they consider the benefits of moving to the newer design, there. I guess you can go with the old line of thinking of "if Mazda didn't think they were better, why did they change it?" From what I understand, you gain some extra suspension travel with the new mounts and if you're running coilovers and planning on lowering your car at all, that can't be a bad thing. Of course, I have an NB, so what do I know.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
The Tein Basic already has a shortened body. You already have a decent amount of travel. You don't need help in that regard. And the NB mount doesn't really increase travel all tat much in any event.

The NB mount has one advantage over the NA mount which you might want to know about: in the NA mount, the spring cup, along with the shock mounting point, are both attached to the rubber cushion. In the NB mount, the spring cup rest solidly against the car body.

This matters because rubber is a spring too. Only it's a spring with no shock damping. Thus in the NA car, basically you have a tiny bit of suspension travel from that rubber cushion which has no damping. This is a problem if you are running stiff springs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I swapped NB AGXs into my NA and I did notice the back end was much nicer over bumps, didn't bottom nearly as much. The FCM bumpstops are a worthy upgrade too while you are in there and only $52.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I too run Tein basics, but with NA upper mounts. It does interfere with the bottom of my RB hi-flow intake. So basically I had to undo the bracket and just let it rest on top of the coilover. Kind of ghetto, but it doesn't move while I drive... :\

If anyone has an idea on how to custom make a bracket or knows a good way to secure the intake down then post it. :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
They aren't "show quality" parts. Just a simple round section with hole in the top and 2 bolts welded onto some "ears". Basicly, you get your money's worth. They are for racecars, function over style.
Yeah, they'd end up underneath my car and out of sight, anyway, so that's not an issue. Flyin Miata sells something similiar and mentions that they're not recommended for NBs or for use in the front. I was wondering how these compared function wise.

·
Banned
439 Posts
They aren't "show quality" parts. Just a simple round section with hole in the top and 2 bolts welded onto some "ears". Basicly, you get your money's worth. They are for racecars, function over style.
Yeah, they'd end up underneath my car and out of sight, anyway, so that's not an issue. Flyin Miata sells something similiar and mentions that they're not recommended for NBs or for use in the front. I was wondering how these compared function wise.
I haven't installed them yet, since the Greddy kit puts the AFM right on top of the driver's side strut mount. I am waiting on my FMIC kit to move it and install the mounts. I know my boss ran the FM Mounts front and rear for his ITA NA Miata. He has since installed Ohlins and removed the mounts. It just allowed him to run over some curbs without risk of bouncing over them and damaging his shocks. I don't plan on any extreme lowering of my car, just more travel for the Koni's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't installed them yet, since the Greddy kit puts the AFM right on top of the driver's side strut mount. I am waiting on my FMIC kit to move it and install the mounts. I know my boss ran the FM Mounts front and rear for his ITA NA Miata. He has since installed Ohlins and removed the mounts. It just allowed him to run over some curbs without risk of bouncing over them and damaging his shocks. I don't plan on any extreme lowering of my car, just more travel for the Koni's.
Could you take some pics? My Bilstein PSS coilovers didn't come with upper mounts. They also don't allow adjustment of the shock body. I don't plan to lower my car much, probably looking at 13" front, 13.5" rear. I just figure some extra travel would be nice and at this price, if it works for my application, how could i go wrong?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts