ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this last weekend, I decided to try my part at replacing my front shocks. I got two street Konis to put on until I get coil-overs. I completed the job on Saturday. When I started to drive, I noticed huge issues with the alignment. My steering wheel is at about 2 o'clock when I am going straight, and my car pulls hard the opposite way to the left. Since I am a newbie at suspension, I made the mistake and took the drivers side tie rod off the wheel spindle, I did not adjust the tie rod, but I put it on exactly how it was and put a new cotter pin in it. I also did not mark the eccentric bolts and I had to put them back to the best of my knowledge where they were.

Obviously, I need an alignmnet, but is it possible that there may be something else wrong that I am not seeing? I dont want to get an alignment and it not solve the problem. What should I check? The power steering struggles now when I turn at a stop and I assume thats from the alignmnet. My biggest concern is the steering wheel being so far off to the right and my car pulling to the left. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, everything is back together with the right torque specs. It drives fine, doesnt make any noises. Just feels out of wack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
drop the coin for the alignment. You already stated you know you need one regardless. It will either fix your problem or yo got the alignment you needed anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would hate to get an alignment only to find out that something else is wrong that could have been taken care of before. I have an appointment for friday. Thanks

·
life is bitch!
2,302 Posts
best time to look is while it's up on the rack. if there's a problem causing the alignment to be fubared they'll tell you. odds are just from your description that the problem couldn't be accurately identified anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you change your suspension you are pulling everything out of place. It is normal for your steering wheel to be way off center as you described after messing with the suspension. I just did mine a week ago and not only was my steering wheel off but my alignment was way out of whack compared to when I last had it aligned 1.5mos ago (I've swapped my suspension a few times). After getting an alignment (per my settings) everything was fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When you change your suspension you are pulling everything out of place. It is normal for your steering wheel to be way off center as you described after messing with the suspension. I just did mine a week ago and not only was my steering wheel off but my alignment was way out of whack compared to when I last had it aligned 1.5mos ago (I've swapped my suspension a few times). After getting an alignment (per my settings) everything was fine.
^ This.

The steering wheel became uncentered when you pulled off the tie rod and the pulling is because your alignment is out of whack. An alignment should fix all of those problems provided you didn't forget to put something back where it belongs.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeh you said you had to redo the accentrics. There is the issue. Toe/caster ect changes and will drive like ****. Get proper alignment and your golden. If it drove fine before. You changed all that and have an issue its that.

Ps hit me up when your ready for coils ill hook you up on some new BC's. Custom rates ect.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Why did you remove the tie rod and mess with the eccentric adjusters?...not needed to if you are just changing shocks...have changed at least 15 sets of shocks in the last few years and never messed with either of those.

An alignment is always necessary when lowering though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts