ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked everywhere locally and I can't find one.....I've also seen the ones on ebay but it looks kinda shady....so I need recommendations on them...help!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
my recommendation would be to spend your money on something else. You get very little return for your dollar on a strut bar.

You couldn't tell which car has a strut tower bar, and which one didn't if you drove 2 cars back to back.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
It's been my experience, in a Mazda, it takes quite a bit of driving to the limit to require a strut tower bar and really take advantage of it. If you're going for show, a polished engine bay is a good start before you cover it with a skinny piece of medal.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Thu May 25, 2006 5:05 pm]You couldn't tell which car has a strut tower bar, and which one didn't if you drove 2 cars back to back.
That's because there are fair too many variables between 2 (especially modded) miatas.

If you drove the same Miata with or without the bar you can tell some differences. Not huge, but definitely there. Probably more so for the 3 pt bar Bill posted- but I've never tried one those.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
The Carbing/Okuyama/Mazdaspeed/RS-Aizawa triangulated brace is worth it. It tightens the front end up nicely, and for right hand drive cars, includes a decent brake stopper. The 10mm bolts connecting it to the firewall are inadequate; I know, because mine have ovaled under load.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,632 Posts
I know I could certainly tell the difference on my car when I left my $25 eBay special STB unconnected. The front end became a lot more squirrely. It wasn't that the car suddenly became undrivable, but I had gotten used to how solid it was.

YMMV...I wouldn't really spend top dollar, but like I said, I noticed a difference when comparing the same car with and without it.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
^agreed.

I had to take mine off due to the turbo and i too can tell a difference. It not as tight as before, response is a little slower.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I was able to tell the difference when I installed the Carbing/Okuyama triangulated strut brace on my car (same one pictured above), but that was back when it was relatively unbraced to begin with.

I'm of the opinion, though, that an STB isn't worth it unless it's triangulated. Most non-triangulated STB's out there allow movement along a lateral rotational axis, which pretty much defeats the purpose of installing them.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,632 Posts
I was able to tell the difference when I installed the Carbing/Okuyama triangulated strut brace on my car (same one pictured above), but that was back when it was relatively unbraced to begin with.

I'm of the opinion, though, that an STB isn't worth it unless it's triangulated. Most non-triangulated STB's out there allow movement along a lateral rotational axis, which pretty much defeats the purpose of installing them.
I have to try one of those out sometime. Not sure if it's really worth the extra weight/maintenance headache...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
triangulated ones from RS are too much. I'm not about to drop four bills on a strut bar. I've looked at the ones on ebay but it doesn't seem to fit a VTT NB. Any suggestions?

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
The best "standard" brace to get is the factory brace; I'm not sure what models, if at all, it was fitted on US models (was it featured on R-Packages?). Nice heavy, substantial steel bar, with pre-load adjustment. The cheap bars have too many bolt on bits to be any use. The Sparco brace is similar to the factory brace, and in the UK at least, is quite cheap, but it doesn't appear to popular. Probably because its not shiney....

The brace looked like this:

Depending on the year, they were supplied in yellow, orange, black or silver. They crop up fairly regularly on UK ebay, and I guess the Jap auction sites.

But if funds are tight, spend your money on a front subframe brace; cheap and effective. Forget the fancy big dollar ones. The heavy square section brace from BSP (ILM have also copied it, with a better quality finish) works well. The Moss item is a bit bendy.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,632 Posts
The ones I think you are referring to appeared on NB Sport Package cars in the US and on all 2001+ NB's in the US, again.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
THink the NB version is slightly more cheaply made. The NA strut brace was standard on all S-Special Roadsters, and a factory option for others.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that is awfully strange....I've a 2002 NB and it didnt have a bar...I feel jipped

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I have the NB sport STB on my 91. Made a big difference in the feel of the front end. Was it worth the $90 I paid for it....yeah. If its an improvement, and looks good too, I'd say it was worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts