ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an used eaton m45 supercharger from a mercedes-benz, my question: I want to renew the bearings and the oil and perhaps (if needed) the coating. Is it a must to take the sc to a shop and let them do the work or can I do these works myself? I know the coating is a professionell work, but the bearings and the oil and the sealings seem to me doable.

What do You mean?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
On most automotive components bearings and oil can be serviced by the home mechanic and while many people rebuild turbochargers at home (basically they just replace the cartridge bearing) I've never heard of someone servicing their own supercharger. My understanding is that the Eaton supercharger should not ever be self-serviced (other than belt/pulley replacements). The supercharger can be serviced by professionals and service is typically divided into one of two areas: the nose drive and the supercharger itself. The rotors are supported by ball bearings in front and needle bearings at the rear. The drive gears are pressed into place and require precise timing to achieve proper rotor to rotor clearances. Therefore, the supercharger is typically replaced as a unit, and is not serviceable by the home mechanic. The supercharger also has a self-contained oiling system that does not require a fluid change for the life of the vehicle.

Magnuson Products, Inc. is the sole remanufacturer of Eaton superchargers in North America. I'm not sure where you can get service in Deutchland but I'm positive some company can do it for you locally.

Click here for a description of what goes into rebuilding an Eaton supercharger.

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you

i just had a discussion with some european miataes, two of them had changed the bearings themself, and they meant, this is not a miracle-work. the first runs since 5tm and the other since 10tm, and both fine

they had ordered their parts from zz performance, the bearings in the m90 are the same like in the m45

if i make a package and ship my sc to magnuson and back, i will pay for shipping, service and custom-fee/import as much as i pay for a new supercharger, so it has to be the diy-type. here in europe they (eaton and magnusson) have no supporters for service, if you want parts (bearings, seals) from them, you will hear NO NO NO, we are the only one #-o

i think that is a very bad reputation for such a big company, no support for european customers, though you have paid much money for their blower

ok, in my case, it is a little bit other thing, but it would be the same, if i bought a new blower from usa and a failure will pass :(

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I think bratfass would prefer to avoid having to ship his unit all the way from Germany to the USA for service if at all possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts