ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Logically presented cons, which you refer to as "hate," are cons none the less. Modify your vehicle till your heart's content, but you must consider that you'll sell this vehicle at some point. Only difference between you and the guys at West Coast Customs is you dont have their name behind your inane modifications.

My point: Its excessively expensive to permanently install a touchscreen, which will be obsolete tomorrow, in one's car; nevermind the initial cost of the product itself. A standard double-din touchscreen will provide better functionality, better sound quality, cost less, and hell, may even have "apps."
Your points are invalid for a few reasons.

First, this is easily reversible in a Miata. You can do it without hacking the stock wires or molding it in to the center console. Simply use a standard wiring harness adapter and mount the tablet behind the stock opening. Most 7" or 8" tablets will fit easily.

Even if someone did decide to mold it into the center console, it's one panel that isn't very hard to find. So it takes about 20 minutes to put it back to stock.

Second: We're talking about custom cars, people build them for themselves. Lowering a car, painting it, doing engine work, anything but leaving it completely stock can make it hard to sell.

Third: Your comment about the fancy double din being cheaper and sounding better is, also, incorrect. For it to sound good, especially with the top down, you'll need a good amp. So the signal is standard pre-amp output. You can get this same output from the headunit jack on a tablet. Also, you can pick a tablet up for well under $200 while a good (stress good) double din head unit will cost you much more.

I built my entire system for about the cost of a standard double-din (good quality) unit. It's more flexible, easier to update (have you tried to find firmware updates for a double din? Good luck), offers more options (especially when tethered to a cellphone or already 3G or 4G enabled) and usually offer better response while being more customizable.

Some of your points might have been valid when discussing molding something into the dash of another vehicle but they're not valid when talking about NA or NB Miatas.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Everything is wired in and works great. Sound is like 10 times better than using the cassette aux adapter before. Mounting was easy and well. The only thing that sucked was that I cracked my center bezel in like. 15.

Congrats, can't wait to see pics. Since the bezel is pretty much destroyed, make it an opportunity for some elbow grease and a learning experience. There are a lot of people who straight up modify their center consoles and bezels, fill in the cracks, sand it flat and just spray paint it. Since NA's have a smooth plastic finish, I think it can be fixed with relatively little work.

Google "miata hacked shorty console" for an example.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is such a sick idea. Have been looking for an excuse to replace my old pioneer touch screen, and this might be it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Everyone,

Still have yet to take pictures. Need to get some money for a new center bezel, or some epoxy to glue it all back together. ;)

Sadly my tablet is semi-bricked and the wi-fi won't work, nor will it stay charged. So I'm having a hard time wanting to use it as my main setup when it's kind of sketchy.

It sucks because if I didn't mess up my tablet it would be an awesome setup right now.

·
My toilet water goes the other way.
2,313 Posts
It's a good idea. Although for around the same money you can build a basic car PC. I had one hooked up in my old Nissan Primera. The hardest part was wiring the speakers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a good idea. Although for around the same money you can build a basic car PC. I had one hooked up in my old Nissan Primera. The hardest part was wiring the speakers!
ive looked into this and a car pc will not be cheaper or even equal to, a half decent touch screen cost about the same as a decent dual core tablet and thats not includin the cost of the pc and software you would need to purchase.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i'm planning on doing something similar. i'm using a china spec galaxy note with android, wiring the usb connection directly to the power, and the aux cable right to the audio input.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've just bought a really cheap 7" chinapad and it works perfectly well for everything I've tried so far. I'll be starting the install next week, depending on parts turning up, and will post some pics as I go.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's a cool idea and can look great.

The only thing I would be looking hard at is what you intend to have it control. If it's just audio stuff, you can buy 2-din head units that do it all ... touchscreen, bluetooth, iPod/iPhone/smartphone integration, aux in, thumbdrive playback, sat, nav, easy integration with standard car audio stuff, etc. Amazon usually has something around $400 or so.

If you have other ideas where the versatility of a CPU you can control or load apps onto is a big part of the functionality, it makes more sense.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts