ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
i was wondering the same thing..

you know, if we're allowed to discuss such things as pricing and quality outside of the classifieds/fs section, might as well just open it to replies. it's the same thing

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,052 Posts
i was wondering the same thing..

you know, if we're allowed to discuss such things as pricing and quality outside of the classifieds/fs section, might as well just open it to replies. it's the same thing
+3

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so anyone know about this? i would like to get it but i would like to know what the value of this is worth

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
A fair price is the one you and the seller negotiate and agree to. I would estimate its value anywhere from $175-$300. It loses value for being incomplete (missing the connecting pipe from the cat to the rear muffler section and therefore no longer original) but it wins points for being in new condition. A connecting pipe could be fabricated from aluminized steel for around $100 if you pay a shop to do it or less than half that price if you can do it yourself.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I'd pay $250 for it at most.

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,052 Posts
sorry, but you must be a f**kin dumbass to put out 500 for an axleback which you still need to make a midpipe that would cost you probably even more than the 100 that freedom stated.--this would be due to the midpipe needing a y pipe as well as a weirdo flange to connect to the axleback.

TeRRy

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd pay $250 for it at most.
Ditto, 1st its going to cost AT LEAST 200.00 more to get the rest of the exhaust fabbed up as you have to have a 1 into 2 splitter fabbed up.

So it really depends on how much value you place on this exhaust. Personally I'm not a big fan of center exit, much less center exist duals. But if you like it, then how much would YOU pay?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
sorry, but you must be a f**kin dumbass to put out 500 for an axleback which you still need to make a midpipe that would cost you probably even more than the 100 that freedom stated.--this would be due to the midpipe needing a y pipe as well as a weirdo flange to connect to the axleback.
Don't hate just because someone might pay more than you think is reasonable. Sometimes uneducated buyers pay "too much" and it ends up fooling others into believing that price is now true current market value for similarly situated items. Sometimes the high price paid is truly indicative of where the market is headed. People spend silly money all the time on car stuff, collectibles, etc. Sometimes its a better deal for the buyer (well bought, price paid below TMV), other times the seller might make out better (well sold, crazy buyers, bidding war, etc.), and sometimes the deal can be considered by market observers as fair for both parties. Collectibles are a funny thing and once you get beyond simple intrinsic values things can get pretty mind boggling.

Have you seen how much money some people pay for a stainless steel Lamborghini or Ferrari exhaust system? Or Porsche Carrera GT or Ford GT? I know some Tubi-style systems are made from Inconel which somewhat justifies the price. And I can also understand why some Ti exhausts cost what they do based on materials and greater expertise needed to fabricate. But intrinsically they're all just bent and welded pipes, flanges, hangers, connectors, and mufflers not much different than a Mazda Miata or Ford Mustang exhaust. Obviously factors like brand strength, actual or perceived quality, appearance, sound, ease of installation, customer support, warranty, compatibility, personal preference, rarity (supply/demand), condition, etc. come into play but their influence on price varies greatly.

As for the seller not listing an asking price we (the mods and Tim) have debated back and forth numerous times whether this should be required or not. So far the issue remains open for discussion.

http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4721

The reasons no replies are allowed in For Sale posts is because of mean people constantly calling names and torpedoing other people's sales. If you want something and are serious about it then contact the seller and negotiate a price you're both happy with and can agree to. If no agreement can be made then be prepared to walk away and carry on like a civil person. I know that AutoWeek does it all the time with their "Immortal Glassy Eyeds" but on CR.net it doesn't make much sense for people to critique the quality of someone else's classified ad. While I'm generally the type of person who prefers more information up front so I don't have to ask as many questions I do believe it is a valid tactic used by both buyers and sellers to manipulate/negotiate a better deal for themselves. Sometimes a "bad" ad is indicative of someone who is uneducated or inexperienced re: the item for sale or the art of brokering transactions. Sometimes it is a ruse by the seller. That's why they say buyer beware.

I've suggested to Tim that we adopt rules in the classifieds section similar to the VWVortex but amended to suit our needs. I guess we'll one day have more clear forum rules but everyone knows how long it took to get stickers :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts