ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my car was smoking really bad, I took it apart and saw there was oil on the valves on the intake and exhaust side. I got the head out of teh shop and put it on. I crank it up and it smokes really bad again. I take the header off and take a look. There is oil in the valves again. I told the head shop to fix the oil on the valve problem.

What should I do? Should I give them my whole car and tell them to fix it? I'm so pissed right now my head and throat hurts from all of the yelling. Do machine shops use some kind of lube that could burn out in time?

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
Is it on all the valves? have them recheck the valve seals....
I had the head on my 1.8 car done a few weeks ago....My shop suggested using regular oil instead of an "assembly lube". They installed my valves, but I had to reinstall the lifters and cams.

Ps...relax, there's a lot worse things that could be happening.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
could be valve guides too. that's something that sould have been done. valve stem seals are pretty easy to do, after you take the valvetrain apart. actually valve work with the head off is sort of zen-like....it's repetitive and methodical. when you get the steps down, it'a almost automatic. i used assembly lube with a lot of moly in it.

you may hay other issues besides the head.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i examined the car a little today. I looked under the car and saw oil driping from the midpipe. I also stuck my finger in the throttlebody and it was covered in oil. I only ran my car for 5 min yesterday. I dont think it is a problem from me. It never was this bad before I got the head work done.
Could ther be anything else causing this besides the seats?

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
are you sure its a problem with the head? you could be getting oil leaking through the rings of the pistons making its way into the head.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i pulled the head off before there was no oil on the piston. Is there a way to check w/o pulling the piston or droping the oil pan? Is there anyway to be 100 percent sure of what it is?

There is oil on the spark plug and oil on top of the piston. Would running No Smoke to see if it is the rings?

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Did you ever have a compression or leakdown test done? That can tell you alot.

Also call the machine shop and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent done a compression due to the fact that the machine shop stripped my 1 and 4 spark plugs. I havent done a leak down test either. I'll have to wait till monday until i can call them.

I'll check the 2 and 3 cylinders though.

*EDIT* 2 and 3 are 185.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Stripped your spark plugs? Take that crap back... Better yet get your money back and find another shop!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
forget the plugs I got them out. Compression on 1-4 is 185. I checked the PCV, but that isnt it.
With compression that high could it still be rings?
Or is it pretty much most likely it is a bad valve job?
Is there any other common things that could be causing it?

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Now do a wet test. Squirt some oil in the plug holes and do it again. Oil will seal the rings, but not the valves, so if Compression goes up the rings are worn. If it stays the same it can point to a valve problem.... but your dry numbers sound good though.. so the rings arent completely gone.

how many miles on this car again?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car has 140k. Ok, so i put a few drops of oil in the cylinder? Then start it or turn it over? I have the exhaust mani off right now is that ok? If you can go more in depth with this method please.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
the only time i've had oil in my TB was when i was getting excessive blowby. this happened because i had disassembled my valve cover to have it powdercoated. i failed to seal the baffles properly and oil was blowing through the crossover tube off the valve cover to the intake tract.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there is oil in the PCV tube, but it isn't so bad to where it is dripping out. There isnt any oil in the intake pipe where the hose on the exhaust side connects.

I've heard if the intake ports are dry and the exhaust ports are oily then the rings are bad. I dont want to pull the intake mani, so please help me out I dont want to immediatly assume it is rings.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I'd say You definitely have worn rings, unless you really poured oil in there. If you have oil in your PCV youre gonna have oil in your intake, so If you did pull it there's going to be oil regardless.

Same thing happened to my car... and the engine is out now to fix the problem

If you get a leakdown test done it can give you more info..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts