ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my Miata and we call her Vanilla.

DSC_0446 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0447 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0448 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0445 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Washed her up from the underside to the body to begin my build throughout the winter season and it was surprisingly really clean.

DSC_0408 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0410 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Time to start stripping her down

DSC_0514 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0515 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0524 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0528 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0531 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0533 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0534 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Out! It was my first time removing an engine with a hoist and banged a couple of things on the way out but nothing major.

Next I stripped the interior to remove Cruise Control, AC, and to do a wire tuck along with a clean up.

DSC_0643 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0691 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

More to come soon

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so I stripped the interior some more and ran into some rust issues..... I Fucking hate rust! I expected this though.

Broke all 3 nuts holding onto the lower part of this piece. So I'm currently in the market for this and the bracket.

DSC_0774 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/derrick_michel/6514694325/]
DSC_0775 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr[/URL]

Ugly piece

DSC_0776 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0801 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Moving on, I decided to clean up the interior and sand out the surface rust, than coating it with primer then paint.

DSC_0797 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0798 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0803 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Now, from a distance, it seems like a really clean interior but take a closer look and you'll find surface rust here and there.

DSC_0799 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Using this little dremel with a 60Grit sandpaper

DSC_0795 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

I'll be doing this... (Sample)

DSC_0804 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0805 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0806 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

After the interior is all cleaned up, I'll move up towards the engine bay for some more clean up.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
this is now my favourite build. i also have a white car just like yours and one day want to do this exact sort of strip and clean-up. subscribed

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is now my favourite build. i also have a white car just like yours and one day want to do this exact sort of strip and clean-up. subscribed
I've watched your build from the beginning and I enjoyed it. Really creative man.

Now that school is over with, I'll be updating this frequently so alot more updates to come!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
yessssss! maybe i should move out and convince my friend to let me stay with her in her house so i can buy a big tool chest, set my car up on some jackstands and go fucking mad! just rip things apart and really make my car the way i want it. im glad you have the same sort of ideas.

i will live vicariously through you

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been awhile and I haven't gotten very far with the build but here is just a little update on the interior....

Removed all the rust in the interior with the grinder

DSC_0816 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Then I threw 2 coats of primer on for now

DSC_0825 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

DSC_0826 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

I forgot to get a close up when I was working on it but after the primer dried up, it looked like it was separating. I wouldn't say cracking because when I tired to pick it with my nail it wasn't chipping away like the crappy exterior body paint. It's probably because the drying was done during high humidity.

Any ideas?

For now, the interior will stay like this for awhile until i can finish up clearing and cleaning up the engine bay

Here where I am now -___- Moving oh so slow

DSC_0828 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

Blue tape are for labeling the wires. Blue tape is the ****

DSC_0830 by Derrick Michel, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Awesome sauce man. I was hoping for an update. With your paint separating, was it a really old can of spray paint? Or what I'm also thinking, did you wash off all the cleaning solution you used? I know if I use simple green on things and not fully rinse, something like that can occur.

So what other plans do you have for the car?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm:| Damn that might be it. After I used the simple green, I just wiped it up and then used wet towel on the interior once. I sort of did it carelessly so I could of done better at cleaning up.

New plans come to mind as I move along but for now I want to restore it inside and out, of course slam it, and than a turbo down the road

Already started gathering some parts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, I've never put together a turbo built car so I said why not start with my first build and go all out on my miata. It shouldn't be that difficult from what I've read and learned.

Btw I've been looking at some RS & RM.. I need a set in my life!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Haha yeah man. Where I live, it was hard to find RS's that werent crazy overpriced. And so I went with the RM. great sizing for a Miata. But part of me would still prefer some 16x9 instead of the 15x9.5 that I have. Either one has lots of good tire size choices.

I love the feel and fun of a turbo. But I'm starting to lean towards an NA build. Mostly for the sound and oem reliability. Maybe one day I'll have a workspace where I can dig into it like you are

·
Supporting Member
106 Posts
looks awesome. definitely the right order to be doing things. I dont know why more people dont do this. except they might not have the time or space.. :(
but good on you lol

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I like this

1 - 20 of 192 Posts