ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found something cool while I was on YouTube, was watching videos on the Mazda 787B LeMans race car.

It you watch from 40seconds onwards, you can see they have a system that changes the length of the velocity stacks. It's amazing! Don't think it's practical to build it for our cars, but thought it was very interesting :D

http://youtu.be/0qPHsk0t1uo?t=40s

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Very cool, I wonder if we have enough room for something like that.

I think some sort of trumpet that fit into a current velocity stack connected by a linear actuator could ^Do the trick. You could trigger the actuator by an rpm window switch.

Problem would be finding one fast enough.

I wonder if there would be a way to build this with springs and have vacuum shorten the length of the runner. I doubt it would be strong enough though.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Well those "window motors" are linear actuators.

Here is another setup, looks like a 4 cylinder application.

I think the hardest part of this would be finding room, and getting an actuator fast enough.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I see your point with getting the stacks to move fast enough. Obviously that software would work and probably can be figured out for our application. I'm just wondering if a simple drive by cable with springs would work like you said before. The pedal may be stiffer, but not by much... like a pulley system.

If it were to happen, It may be possible to fab a spacer for the ITB's to "clock" them downward and able the stacks to move in and out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did anyone else catch the Mazda "Never give up!" sticker? God I want some of those, do reproductions exist anywhere?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=294784

Here's an interesting read. Although, it makes me realize this is a rather fruitless project if you aren't tuning a 600hp engine. The gains we'd see are probably so slim this project wouldn't be worth the endeavor.

Then again it would be an awesome project for a budding young engineer.

Edit: I take that back. At 4,500 rpms there is nearly a 25hp 20ft/lb gain. That is impressive on a 160-170hp engine.

Edit again:

Information about the variable R1 intake runners. Pretty sweet, seems easier to copy.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Oct/06100930clock.htm

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
The R1 is drive by wire, would be an incredible huge project adapting that system, or retro fitting a cable system.

You could buy a r1 air box and and intake system, the motor is apart of the box that controls the runners. It would be much easier to rig that up to existing ITBs than the whole setup. You could probably find a way to use an rpm window switch to active the runner motor.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
I like the way you think man. I might have to figure this whole thing out now that I'm trying to source an ITB kit....or make my own

·
Registered
43 Posts
if someone managed to set it up could you somehow wire the actuators with the vvt? with a relay and its own power and ground it could work i think

·
Registered
43 Posts
you could probably do it with the right size flared pvc tubing. just with one flared end. and put 4 of them on a common rail with 2 actuators. trouble would be making space. offset cowl? could be pretty cool.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I think it would be over complicating wiring it to the VVT. Just use an RPM window switch and set the switches opening at the same time as the VVT. VVT engages at the same rpm everytime, no need to go through the hassle. Rpm switches are cheap and easy to work with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts