ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember Project 707? It was a car I built a few years ago for a friend, using a lot of Porsche touches. Fuchs wheels, 356 Aero mirrors, an unusual paint job, 914 seats, etc.

Anyhow, I've been working with Adam aka Revlimiter on a few different projects, and figured it would be fun to do a set of Porsche-style gauges for it. He got right into it - as he does - and we came up with a set of super-cool gauges for the car.

I'm going to use a set of orange needles from a white-faced NB cluster with the ends sharpened, like the original VDO style. The car already has a MOMO Prototipo and a custom shift knob along with the 914 seats mentioned earlier. Here's what the 911 gauges look like, although we ended up pulling cues from a few decades worth of Porsches.

If you've never worked with Adam on a set of custom gauges, it's a lot of fun. We passed a bunch of ideas back and forth. Luckily, Eric was game for odd German markings so we were able to use TANK and DRUCK for the fuel and oil pressure gauges. This made Adam very happy.

The end result arrived a couple of days ago, and Adam did his usual stellar job of photography on his end. They're gorgeous - but they don't really look modified. They just look right. Very clean, very readable, but if you didn't know Miatas you'd probably think they were stock. And honestly, that's not easy to do. It's exactly how they should look - if Porsche had built this car, this is the gauge set they would have installed. Perfect.

You can read Revlimiter's side of the story on his blog.

And now, more images, shamelessly stolen from Adam's site.

Naturally, we went for the white incandescent lighting for that vintage glow. I'll swap out the HVAC controls for one of Revlimiter's to get rid of the green there as well.

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Awesome! top notch stuff

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm surprised you didnt just buy all the gauges you wanted from VDO, delete the factory gauge cluster completely and make your own with all new gauges. That way you could have really nailed the look, and gotten a tach, speedo, and water temp gauge there were accurate.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a considerably more difficult and expensive job. The speedo alone would be challenging, as a custom cable to adapt the VDO to the Miata trans would be required. And who's to say it would have been more accurate? There's nothing inherently inaccurate about the Miata speedo, you just have to get the gearing right.

Also, it would have looked like a bunch of aftermarket gauges stuffed in a production cluster. This looks like a production setup.

This is a street car, so the temp gauge works perfectly. If it's not moving, there's nothing to worry about. If it starts moving, time to do something. Easy.

I'll be installing these in Eric's car when I go visit him in a couple of months, without my usual tool set. The combination of price, ease of installation and integration with the car make new gauge faces the best way to do the job. Working with Adam is always fun, and the results are great. I can't wait to get them installed.

·
Administrator
15,715 Posts
Well this is nice for me. :)

I have a set of VDOs from a Porsche i was going to try to make work in my 93, but if it seemed like an awful job, was going to beg Adam to make me some that looked like them.

And well... now they're already made!

They look great! Good job by both of you guys. :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Speedo would mean switching to the NB sender.

It wouldnt be aftermarket gauges stuffed in the facotry cluster, it would be a completely new panel with aftermarket gauges placed as you'd like that snaps in someone made a really clean one. I cant find it. I did find on that isnt as clean that illustrates what I mean.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The VDOs from that era had mechanical speedometers. I think the oil pressure gauges were mechanical as well, and of course the temperature gauges were marked "OEL" as there was no water temperature to monitor.

I understand your thinking, but I'll let you take on that project. This turned out just as expected without adding needless complication. The picture you attached illustrates one big problem - the aftermarket gauge sizes don't necessarily fit well in the constrained space provided. We actually have blank gauge panels at FM that could be used if you wanted to go this route though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is pretty dang gorgeous.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update! I installed the gauges in the car last week. Eric is a big fan of them. I spent some time behind the wheel and they're nice and clear, as intended. DRUCK and TANK make you smile, which is part of the point. They all complement the interior of the car well, looking like they were intended to be there. That was the goal.

But I have to single out the speedo. It's absolutely fantastic. Most of the speed limits in the area are 50 kmh or 100 kmh, which are both marked on this face with nothing else to distract you. It's just ridiculously easy to read. I love it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
200, actually. 125 mph.

I'm tempted to do a Targa tach that's got three sections. From 1700 to 2900, it would say "300 lb-ft". From 2900 to 6100, it would say "400 lb-ft". Then at 6600, "shift".

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Another great product from Adam! I don't think it really needs mentioning, but all of his products are really top notch stuff. Buy his stuff, you won't be disappointed...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts