ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had the idea for this gauge design since this time last year. It's based on the Mercedes W196 that Sir Stirling Moss drove in 1955. The VDO gauges in that car are simple and beautiful. I think I've captured the feel of it.

I made a variant of these for a buddy (CooperD on this forum). And now I've got this version installed in Sharka for the moment. I mostly just wanted to see what they looked like behind the KG Works cluster, but now I'm hooked on the 1 o'clock needle positions. I've driven Sharka every day since installing these. I never drive that car daily. It's usally more like once a week or less.

Anyways, I realize not everyone shares my taste for retro mods, but I hope this gauge set will scratch that itch for at least a few others. One thing is for sure - they don't look like anything ever seen before in a Miata gauge cluster.

·
Supporting Member
873 Posts
Nice. I like the needle position because my slightly small steering wheel blocks the outer upper portions of the gauges.
Would they work with Blue or Green lights?

·
Registered
400 Posts
These are the most beautiful gauges I've seen made for the Miata yet! Oh man, your work never ceases to amaze me Adam.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. I like the needle position because my slightly small steering wheel blocks the outer upper portions of the gauges.
Would they work with Blue or Green lights?
For blue, you'd need to use some LEDs. I've never been happy with blue lighting with a gel layer and an incandescent bulb. I recommend superbrightleds to all my customers. You'd order the gauges with white/clear lighting. That way, they'll light up with whatever bulb you've got installed.

Green wouldn't be a problem. I can mimic the green OEM lighting almost perfectly.

And BTW, any of my gauges can be rotated all around in any way. You could have any of my designs start at 1 o'clock. You'd just have to order them that way.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
These look fantastic!!!

I think a new set of gauges for Kimi might be in the future :mrgreen:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Love the look! Not do sure my tiny brain could deal with the 1:00 start position. Will you do one-offs with different start positions?

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Love the look! Not do sure my tiny brain could deal with the 1:00 start position. Will you do one-offs with different start positions?
Of course! Any of my gauges can be rotated in any direction and customized in any way. Sometimes they end up not looking very good (Version Rossa really only looks right at 10 o'clock and 5 o'clock) but anything is possible.

Full details are on this page.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts