ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been on here for about a year now and figure I should actually start a build thread now that I know what I'm going to be doing.

I have a '91 Red Miata, Manual Windows, No Cruise Control, has A/C and P/S, and a limited slip diff. Got her with 100,070 on the odometer in June of 2010, bone stock with an ugly and dangerous style bar.

This is what she looked like when I picked her up...everything running perfectly for $2650

I then wanted to put some decent sound in, so with almost no money I went about ghetto-engineering a decent sound system. Sony headunit :)fp:) with Alpine Type-R 6 1/2" door speakers that I had went in...then I took the Alpine Type R 10" sub and Pioneer 640 watt amp and tried to figure out how to shove it in the trunk...
Needless to say, the box I had didnt fit. It was double the height of the trunk no matter which way you turned it, AND I needed to fit an amp in. So I had to get a little creative.

Also put some 6x9s in the style bar with zip-ties...which brought the total cost of all this up to...the cost of some zip ties!

Actually sounded pretty good.

Up next is how the car sits now...then will come the info on what I have planned!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, in the year and a half that I've had her I have:

Air Intake from Racing Beat that I absolutely LOVE (one of the first things I've put on)

Put in a proper roll bar.

Got a hard top.

Got a couple stickers to represent

From there a VooDoo shift knob, there's also a carbon fiber look cover on the tombstone and center dash cause my tombstone had fallen apart and I got that to cover it. Got the tombstone replaced but I don't mind the cover so it's still on.

Then most recently...R Package lips, bringing her to how she looks right now.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now! The plans...I intend to completely overhaul the car, and I'm going for a somewhat retro look.

I have kinda what I want mocked up in Forza 3 of all things lol...

I want this color scheme and those graphics...other parts I will eventually put on include...
'94 engine with '99 head
Megasquirt ECU
RPF-1s
VMaxx Coilovers
Match the R Package Lips with the stripes
93LE interior
Hard Dog Deuce Center Brace Roll Bars (painted maroon to match the interior and stripes)
Nardi wooden Wheel and Shift Knob
Custom Tail Lights (got an idea I want to try)
Flying Miata Voodoo II Turbo
Trap Blade Spoiler

These Alfa Romeo side mirrors:

This will be a very slow build. Might include getting a different Miata depending on the rust damage on mine (not much rust so idk if it can be fixed for an ok amount of money or not). It WILL happen though.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Lol, I love the Peavey speaker box. I must have three of those somewhere.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, I love the Peavey speaker box. I must have three of those somewhere.
Yeah the speaker blew in my practice amp...figured I'd put it to good use :lol:
It's long gone though, no stereo in the car cause the old speakers broke and it didn't sound good enough to justify building it up again. Miatas aren't really made for good sound lol.

Blanking plate will be going in soon

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
I like the r package look too. I think the GV lip is starting to get a bit too common now.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the r package look too. I think the GV lip is starting to get a bit too common now.
I've never liked the GV one to be honest...
NB most definitely yes (especially on a dark colored car like yours) but I thought it didn't work all that well with the NA.

Once I get it repainted I'll see how the lips look matched to the stripes, I think it'll work well.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Heres one of my favorite NA's. he has r package lips, side skirts and a custom splitter. Looks a lot better than GV IMO.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I did a splitter it would be the Track Dog Racing one. I'm loving those BBS rims on that one, very nicely put together

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could have those graphics now if you wanted 'em. Do white on red for now, and then red on off-white in the future :) You might want to reconsider cutting the Mazda logo in half with the door shut line, though.
I definitely intend on getting your rocker panels! :)
I'm going with performance parts first, other than the turbo

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Needs paint desperately, I don't have the center caps on yet. Just picked these up...they're 13x5.5, gonna get taller tires soon...they should look pretty good once I get the car lower with maybe small spacers.

Also picked up a new stereo thanks to YellowYata! Powered Sub, Alpine Type-R component speakers, head unit, and a 4 channel amp.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, got out of the Miata game for a little bit, on an ill-advised adventure with an 850 Turbo Wagon. Brilliant when it was working.......which was almost never :suicide:

Cost me over $6k in repairs in 8 months. Ended up trading though...I'm back with another 91, same color, no rust :D bone stock and a great platform to start on.

Almost 200k on the clock, but the engine feels peppier and happier than my first one which only had 120k when I got rid of it. Since she's the same color, same year etc...plans are very similar.

Someone did a crappy repaint and I don't know why a newer bumper with the logo is on there but she's been looked over by a shop I'd trust with anything (the parts manager for the local Mazda dealership's wife even takes her cars there instead of the dealer lol) and gotten the A-OK on all systems. Meet Maria V2!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First mod:

It's not fully wired yet because I don't want to hack into the starter wire until I know I have time to fix it if I screw up...and I have a gig in Orlando among other things coming up which are keeping me busy. It looks good at the moment though :lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been off the grid for a bit...

Engine was a short nose crank and failed on me, swapped a '92 long nose in, in a parking lot no less. Runs happier than the previous engines in both this car and my first Miata lol

After that, I had a friend drill out an 11 ball for a shift knob, and installed a leather tombstone cover.

Got a carbon fiber headlight lid with an air duct...and promptly dropped it after getting home :cry2:

Then came a aluminum radiator cover

Which also has a Phillyb Hates Me sticker as well :phillyb:

Got an R Package Lip and won a Track Dog Air Splitter in the Miatapalooza raffle

This is at a gig that was also a car show.

And then, just last night...new wheels with proper tires :D

I didn't realize how huge of a difference having DZ101's would make. Super ultra happy with them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! She desperately needs a paint job (crappy repaint, when the sun shines on it and I take a pic it literally looks orange, and its chipping and fading like mad), but at the moment I am just enjoying the fact that she runs better than any of my previous cars have, that I did the work myself, and that DZ101's grip more than any tire I have had on a car previously :D all I want to do is drive everywhere, all the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts