ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 3ish weeks ago I put my new wheels on. With used tires I got off a buddy (20%-30% tread on them). I got an allignment. Few days later (after putting on some miles aswell) I started driving and to go straight my wheel was at like 10-11 o'clock so I was like thats weird idk how that happened but I took my wheel off, and moved over that white clip and just bolted it on so it was back straight.

Well when taking my wheels off today I realized the fronts are litearlly absolutely bald, and the rears are exactly how they were when I put em on.

Any ideas? I am going back to place to get the allignment checked. Here are the before/after specs WHEN I GOT THE ALLIGNMENT.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Excessive wear in a short amount of time and a steering wheel that does not point straight ahead is typically a toe problem. Check the tie rods for excessive play, have the toe set properly so that the rod ends are as close to equal on either side as possible, and do a general front end suspension and steering inspection.

As an added note, the fact that your thrust angle went from 0.00 to -0.03 after the alignment is a little alarming, while -0.03 is certainly nothing to be concerned about, I'd wonder if one of the alignment heads was bumped or moved during the alignment process. This could cause false readings across the board if that was the case.

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idk if this helps but going over the center of road when switching lanes on highway in rain or snow my car gets kicked over SUPER hard from right to left, and also when hitting puddles it just kicks the wheels over super hard.

Does that help diagnose the problem?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did you brake hard before every turn ?

With to many camber when you brake hard, the camber grow up and make your tire working bad.
Before brake it's -2.34 during a hard brake its near -3.5

My brother and me work on a Tatuus (my brother drive it on track) we already had this problem and the camber was incriminated after some research.

Edit : It's could be a part of the problem but not entirely the solution because you dont drive really fast. (Compared to a Tatuus:p)

·
··
4,227 Posts
+1 for tie rods and their ends. *Speaking from my trucks experience* Mine were SHOT at 188K, went ahead and took care of the ball joints, too and associated bushings. Before the overhaul my beloved Douglas Xtra-Trac IIs had outter toe wear. Shortly after that I got my 31s, had it aligned and its been smooth sailing since then.
So what I'm getting at is you should probably fork up the cash for your suspension.

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
So your tires are wearing in the middle . What air pressure are you running ? When your buddy did your alignment did he start in the rear and work his way up or vice versa . I think i read something on MT.net or M.net about either starting in the rear and work forward or the other way around .

·
Registered
967 Posts
So your tires are wearing in the middle . What air pressure are you running ? When your buddy did your alignment did he start in the rear and work his way up or vice versa . I think i read something on MT.net or M.net about either starting in the rear and work forward or the other way around .
All alignments are done rear to front and toe is always the last thing adjusted at both ends of the car. Tire pressure wouldn't cause the extreme wear the OP is talking about.

OP: I've seen a brand new set of quality tires become bald from the outside to approx. the middle of the tire after 200 miles (not a typo, two hundred) of driving due to bad toe angles, just so you know where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Go back to where you got your alignment. Put your car on another alignment machine. It is possible that their machine is out of spec. It happened to me once, got my car aligned drove off and knew that the machine lied to me about the specs (it just felt wrong). So I turned around and told them, they didn't believe me so I made them put it on a different alignment machine and it read completely different from the first one. They had to call someone and get all their machine re-calibrated. 3 weeks is crazy fast something is probably way off they may have not tightened your camber bolts properly either.

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They did rear to front, and I am running 35.

All alignments are done rear to front and toe is always the last thing adjusted at both ends of the car. Tire pressure wouldn't cause the extreme wear the OP is talking about.

OP: I've seen a brand new set of quality tires become bald from the outside to approx. the middle of the tire after 200 miles (not a typo, two hundred) of driving due to bad toe angles, just so you know where I'm coming from.
It must be something to do with the toe then, we will check it out hopefully asap.

Go back to where you got your alignment. Put your car on another alignment machine. It is possible that their machine is out of spec. It happened to me once, got my car aligned drove off and knew that the machine lied to me about the specs (it just felt wrong). So I turned around and told them, they didn't believe me so I made them put it on a different alignment machine and it read completely different from the first one. They had to call someone and get all their machine re-calibrated. 3 weeks is crazy fast something is probably way off they may have not tightened your camber bolts properly either.
I will ask when the machine was last calibrated, its a major dealership so everything is very new and dated so I am guessing thats not it, driving it and the signs it has have been so weird that it has to be something related to a loose bolt, or tie rods/ends as someone suggested.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Any toe will cause wear, and the uneven camber side to side most likely did not help.

949 alignment is some good ****, caster is not that important it will just effect steering input sensitivity.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts