ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
I have used Van's tail paint a while back with excellent results/durability/longevity.

Its from Japan if I am not mistaken. The VHT while I havent used it personally I know some friends who have and it seems to be a quality product as well. Hope this helps.

P.S. I used the paint on my Civic (EP3) not a Miata but it really shouldnt matter, plastic tails same thing.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Only ricers tint their tail lights (and headlights) with the dark stuff.

Red tint over clear lenses excluded from being a ricer.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to replace the red tint film on my Altezzas with the red Night-shades. Any idea how dark it is? I really don't want it coming out pink.

·
Mr December yo
2,423 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to replace the red tint film on my Altezzas with the red Night-shades. Any idea how dark it is? I really don't want it coming out pink.
Im experimenting at the moment with it. First was a failed vinyl crap, second was some sort of high tempt paint that worked alright actually, and now the NiteShade. Problem is both paints leave a 'orange peel' effect so you have to evenly put a coat on, polish it with a compound then put another coat on etc. With the black NiteShade stuff you're supposed to sand the lights as part of the prep work but I don't wanna try that with the Altezzas

This is a crappy camera phone pic, but it kinda shows that it is red and not pink. Even just 1 coat will be red

·
Registered
747 Posts
Awesome, thanks username. I have the same tails, but I'll definitely leave a section unpainted over the reverse lights so the DMV doesn't give me grief. I do love the all-red look right now though.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
I've used it before but the sun fades it out pretty fast. Best bet is to use red film tint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im experimenting at the moment with it. First was a failed vinyl crap, second was some sort of high tempt paint that worked alright actually, and now the NiteShade. Problem is both paints leave a 'orange peel' effect so you have to evenly put a coat on, polish it with a compound then put another coat on etc. With the black NiteShade stuff you're supposed to sand the lights as part of the prep work but I don't wanna try that with the Altezzas

This is a crappy camera phone pic, but it kinda shows that it is red and not pink. Even just 1 coat will be red

wow that came out nice, but im thinking of tinting mine. ill try to post it up soon when i have the chance.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I can't for the life of me remember who I bought my Altezzas from, but he used the film and it didn't come out too good. It's really thick and doesn't stretch well.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
IMO

tint will always be better than that spray stuff. ive used the vht stuff and if your not good with spray paint, i suggest finding someone who is.

other than that. ive seen many many cars that use spray tint and oxidize white from the sun.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^
bingo. brontos got it

if you dont like the nb1 lights. buy the nb2 ones and keep both and you can swap em out whenever you get tired of your other ones.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would go with tint personally

The only lights that look ok sprayed are cheap eBay altezzas. OEM lights look great as is.
Except for NC tail lights :lol:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Looks awesome if you do it right.

TIPS:
-Clean the surface and tape where needed.
-DO NOT SAND
-Use 3 base misting coats
-Follow up with 2 - 3 heavy or "wet" coats
-Let dry for an our or so and then buff with a swirl remover.
-This make the surface look OEM and perfect.

I also VHT'd my brother's turn signals with the amber color

·
Registered
144 Posts
NA tails

1 - 20 of 43 Posts