ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
i have a turbo miata and the interior is starting to make vibration noises from the dash. Are any of you guys having the same problem? How did you get rid of all the vibration?

thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you just deal with the vibration? have you tried figuring out where the vibration sounds coming from and fix it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can you tell us anywhere in particular this vibration is coming from? TBH it can be anything, but did you try making sure the dash was secured properly in place?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear vibration ratling from behind the dash near the middle to left side. Coming from 2 places, not sure whats loose from inside the dash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far I have been ok with it just waiting for something like this to help out. Mine comes from behind my cluster and center console

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Under acceleration around 2,500 to 3,500 rpm?

Check the state of the heater hose grommets where the hoses pass through the firewall, under load the heater core can vibrate causing a really annoying hum from behind the dash right in between the cluster and the console stack.

The quick and dirty fix...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Do NOT tighten the zip ties so tight you squeeze the soft copper pipes in the heater core, just snug them up enough to keep everything, uhhh, snug.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I've attacked rattles in all the cars I have owned. The Miata is really no different - except smaller so we have less area to cover.

My go-to rattle and squeek fix is a product like Dynamat. If your door panels rattle, dynamat under them (either the whole panel OR just the high spots). Sometimes it's the hardware (door locking mech) inside the door, so be prepared to get creative with finding loose mechanical components, then getting them snug.

My hard top rattled every so often - the attachment hardware starts to back out. I ended up using locktight on all the bolts that attach to the hard top. So now I only remove the bolts attached to the Miata's body, lifting the hardtop & brackets off as one when it needs to be done.

I also use generic weatherstripping from home depot that I use in small quantities like "feet". I'll cut a few 1/2" peices and stick them between the dynamat and door panel to hold the panel off the surface. With aftermarket speakers, you could be making contact with the speaker grill or door panel. These little spacers stop the panel from vibrating against the door.

Zip ties are great for wiring and routing. In our older Miatas the plastic grommets that hold the wiring harness have snapped and rattles from the harness against the body can be fixed with zip ties, electrical tape, etc.

One rattle at a time - hunt it down and kill it, then move on to the next one. It's really satisfying when you get that last one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts