ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a radio for my car, but I absolutely hate 90% of how modern radio/cd decks look like. They scream of nasty custom winamp skins. Do any of you guys know where I can a vintage or classic looking radio but with modern features like mp3/wma and the like?

Excuse the audio newbieness. I know nothing of audio systems --I just need music in the car. 2 years without radio sucks :(

I'd actually be pretty happy with a stock miata CD player, but what else is out there?

Budget: $100-200

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
You know, I am looking for the same thing, Linh!

Good idea to post this.

I saw this killer Pioneer at Karuizawa that had a TUBE in the middle.

Don't know how old or the price, but it was HOT.

Of course, there's McIntosh, but they are EXPENSIVE!

Let us know, people!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Man, when I see that called vintage I feel old....

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
AudioCubes used to sell some nice mobile audio units from Japan but sadly no longer. Nakamichi have the style you're looking for but they don't offer anything with mp3/satellite radio capability in your price range. You could also try to find the McIntosh head unit that came in some Subaru Legacy newer models. That Clarion looks early 1990's classic.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Also look for used
Alpine F1
Alpine 7909
Denon DCT-1
Denon DCT-Z1
Denon DCT-A1n
Clarion DRX9255
McIntosh MX406
McIntosh MX4000/MDA4000
Nak CD700
RF 8250
Sony XES X1/P1/T1 combo
Sony XES Z50
Sony C910
Sony C90

Unfortunately all of them will cost more than $200 and not have mp3. They do look and sound good, though.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
IT'S TAIWAN YOU GOOF! :x

I'm tired of people always mistakingly saying Thailand instead of Taiwan!

Even though, Taiwan is the size of Rhode Island, it's still a country damit! It's the country of quality Computer components.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
IT'S TAIWAN YOU GOOF! :x

I'm tired of people always mistakingly saying Thailand instead of Taiwan!

Even though, Taiwan is the size of Rhode Island, it's still a country damit! It's the country of quality Computer components.
:lol: i knew that when i replied, but as i was typing, thailand slipped out...my bad #-o

·
OG Member
583 Posts
Also look for used
Alpine F1
Alpine 7909
Denon DCT-1
Denon DCT-Z1
Denon DCT-A1n
Clarion DRX9255
McIntosh MX406
McIntosh MX4000/MDA4000
Nak CD700
RF 8250
Sony XES X1/P1/T1 combo
Sony XES Z50
Sony C910
Sony C90

Unfortunately all of them will cost more than $200 and not have mp3. They do look and sound good, though.
Several of these radios (Alpine 7909,Clarion DRX9255,Sony CDX C910,etc.) also require an external amplifier since they do not have one built in.
I have owned a Clarion DRX9255 (as well as a Sony CDX C910) previously and it doesn't get anymore retro, simple or better sounding than this:

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Hey Linh, how about this?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts