ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
What size steering wheel & hub combo are you using? I plan on either a 13" or 14" (more old xke type wheel). I'm not sure if a 13" will be too small and as far as the hub goes I want the wheel in a stock position or further away from me, not closer. How do you like your gauges? I was planning to have a custom set made with the 1 o-clock 11 o-clock positioning as well and I think I'm going with imitation burl wood on the gauges and tombstone as I do not have your talent to cut my own. You did an Outstanding Job!!! I may go with engine turned aluminum rather then wood I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What size steering wheel & hub combo are you using? I plan on either a 13" or 14" (more old xke type wheel). I'm not sure if a 13" will be too small and as far as the hub goes I want the wheel in a stock position or further away from me, not closer. How do you like your gauges? I was planning to have a custom set made with the 1 o-clock 11 o-clock positioning as well and I think I'm going with imitation burl wood on the gauges and tombstone as I do not have your talent to cut my own. You did an Outstanding Job!!! I may go with engine turned aluminum rather then wood I'm not sure yet.
I'm running a 365mm wheel and I think it's a bit bigger that I would like but very similar to the stock size. I plan to get a 3330mm in the future. I have the NRG short hub and quick release. They put the wheel just around the stock position as well.

I love the gauges, Adam does great work. They position of them makes them easier to see while driving once you get used to them. I do love the look of brushed aluminum, and there are several aftermarket options if that is the route you go!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great looking interior! And I love that bikini top, riffing on the Boxster Spyder look (one of my favorite cars!) I instantly wanted that top but then realized...no, I actually like being able to stay dry in the rain :p But still, great look!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Spotted you at Lowes last night! Actually parked right next to you, but wasn't in my Miata.

Great looking car! I really like what you have done with it.
No way, I read through your build thread and realized Ive seen your car around and actually think I live right down the street from you haha. Small world.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The fiancé and I are going to Miatas At The Gap this year and she has been begging to to put the AC in before we go. When I bought the car it came with all the parts but nothing was in the car. Over the last two weekends I have reinstalled the system and got it working again! The only weird thing is the system does not work on 4, but all the other settings are fine...idk

Im not running power steering and I didn't want to have to source an ac tensioner so I found a belt that was the exact right size. Here is the part code 4PK0775, hope this can help someone else if not, I'm sure I will need it for reference in the future.

·
Registered
74 Posts
nice build!! The DIY boot cover, cluster, and center console looks amazing!

Couple of questions for ya if you don't mind..

how supportive are the 914 seats? I've seen these in a miata before but was never able to get an opinion as to how supportive they are, at least in the butt area.

Were you able to wrap the hardtop with one entire piece of vinyl?

and how good is Hattie B's???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
nice build!! The DIY boot cover, cluster, and center console looks amazing!

Couple of questions for ya if you don't mind..

how supportive are the 914 seats? I've seen these in a miata before but was never able to get an opinion as to how supportive they are, at least in the butt area.

Were you able to wrap the hardtop with one entire piece of vinyl?

and how good is Hattie B's???
Thanks! The 914 are actually pretty comfortable. They have lots of padding in the seat cushion. I have been on a few road trips with them without issue. My biggest complaint would be the lack of bolstering. I know the 914GT seats have nice bolstering but are much harder to find and more experience. There are also aftermarket alternatives to the GT seat if you wanted to go that route.

I was able to wrap the hard top with one piece of vinyl, I wanna say it was like 6*5 but it was a while ago so I could be wrong. I did end up puting two small seams on the back right by the latches because I had too much material leftover in the back but it is really not noticeable. I'm sure it's possible to do it with no seams though if you have more vinyl experience.

Believe it or not I have lived in Birmingham for 5 years and never been to Hattie B's. I have heard it is really good and it's not far from my office so I'll have to try it sometime soon!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ah the 914GT seats have more aggresive bolstering. I like the regular 914 seats and was hoping they would be comparable to Lotus seats as far as holding you in, while maintaining a low enough profile for ease of entry/exit.

That's impressive, and overall the vehicle looks very nice with the wrap.

Hattie B's is amazing if you like fried chicken. I've been to Bham a few times for work recently but only got to experience Hattie B's once. It was still fantastic

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts
Awesome work man! Looks beautiful!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ive started to make some more progress on the interior. This weekend I finally got around to wrapping the tombstone I made with vinyl to match the rest of the interior and hide the joints and screws. I countersunk the screw hole to make them sit a little bit more flush and I think the results are great! I will get some better picture when I finish the rest of the interior work I just started.

Unfortunately the wooden shift knob that I had on the car got stuck on the shifter some how and for the life of me I could not get it off. For this new project I needed to be able to have the shift knob off so I bough a whole new shifter assembly.

I went with the Manzo short shifter as I would like to get a MiataRoadster shifter in the future but cannot justify the price right now. I saw a writeup on Miata.net about making it work well and decided to give it a try. Overall the install was really easy and with the guide it made modifying it really easy. The shifts are much shorter and it feels very notchy! I will note that I bough a 5X copper shifter bushing and it did not fit on the new shifter so I had to use the one provided. As they do not provide a turret cover I was able to use the one I had on the car before. I rebuilt the shifter about two years ago so I knew it was all in good condition.

To continue on my previous project of creating the Zoom Tombstone I have finally decided to tackle making the center console to match. Im not completely sure if this is what as I have been driving the car with no center console for about a year and like it quite a lot. The main reason I am doing this is because I am tried of the gap I have at the bottom of the tombstone where the console should meet it. If I decide I dont like it I will engineer something else. Here is the progress I have made thus far.

I started out by using some more of these small wooden planks to frame it out. I cut the front at an angle to match the angle of the tombstone and the back at an angle to match the rear contour.

Then I added some braces to the sides and added some brackets in the front for it to screw into from the sides.

I measured out the top and cut it out of wood to match the rest of the interior. I also went ahead and attached the cobra shift boot. You can see the abs that I cut for the bottom of the center compartment is in there but not attached. With the way I made the brackets it is holding the console in place just being screwed into the transmission funnel for now. I will mount it and make it look better later on.

Here it is with the angled shifter extension I have. I like the position it puts the shifter in but am still a little bit unsure about it.

And here it is without the shifter extension.

I still have a good amount of work to do but this is where I will leave it for the weekend. I have pretty much everything planned out except for what to do with the edges around the ebrake. I could just leave it the wood, but I know on the zoom ones they have a rubber surround. I suppose I could get some vacuum hose or something but IDK yet. I will post some more pictures as I made progress but this is where I will leave it for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The center console is not finished! I did a bad job at taking progress photos as I was wrapping it all up but here is the finished product.

I added a row of indicator lights for each switch to merge the two panels together and it helps remind me to turn things off, I have let the car parked with things left on too many times.

I covered the inside of armrest with the same vinyl I used on the outside to give it a nice finished look and to keep things from sliding around inside. I also added two USB charging ports and an aux port so they are conveniently located and hidden.

Over all I am very pleased with how this project turned out and I am now pretty much done with all my interior work!

21 - 40 of 75 Posts