ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who's selling his cutter, really just trying to decide if it be worth picking up. I have a bunch of ideas for vinyls I want to make, but yeah. I'm sure there's someone out here who has experience, any recommendations?

·
Supporting Member
446 Posts
I just got myself a cutter a month ago, my first one, and I love it. I got the Craftech Silhouette Cameo, cuts up to 12 inch wide and 3 metres long, so it's not one of the huge stand mounted ones, but it's a great desktop cutter and critics seem to think it's a really good cutter. Well priced too (Atleast in UK). I use it for custom vinyls/stickers (Obviously) and masking for my paint projects and it's been great so far.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Tell me more about the Cameo. Do you have to buy the extra 50 dollar software to be able to cut svg graphics?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I had picked up one of the stand up plotters off eBay awhile ago. It was fun for awhile. I guess I just wasn't happy with mine because it wasn't a printer plotter. I didn't feel like getting set up for solvent inks either, those things are nasty. A lot of work goes into multi color designs without printing capabilities. I own a screen printing/dtg shop. I ended up selling my plotter though. It was fun to **** around with for personal projects, but not worth my time to sell anything, specially if colors were involved. There are so many companies with mass producing capabilities it makes more sense for me to out source until I take the time and money to purchase some industrial grade equipment and have the space for huge permanent cutting tables. Heck there are a lot of places that will run you vinyl for dirt cheap if it's one color.

·
Supporting Member
446 Posts
Tell me more about the Cameo. Do you have to buy the extra 50 dollar software to be able to cut svg graphics?
I dont know anything about the Extra software you mention, I didn't get it and haven't had problems yet. Everything I've cut with it (Custom images) have been greater dimensions in photoshop than in the software the cutter comes with (Silhouette Studio). Everything that I've scaled down onto my cutting area has cut without issue so far. I'm still getting the hang of the software so I'm sure there's better settings than what I'm using. Really have no complaints about it.

If there's anything specifically you'd like me to try with it, by all means let me know

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Can you post some pics of what you've cut? So when you bring in images from photoshop, are you live tracing the image using the software making it a cuttable image? I'm looking for a way to directly cut vector graphics without having to mess with the trace program they have.

·
Supporting Member
446 Posts
I'll upload an image now and edit it into this post. The way I've been doing it is to make a .png in Photoshop (Transparent background) and opening that in the program, then resizing as neccessary. Then yes, there is a trace function you need to use, with settings that I'll also post an image of in a moment. I'm still getting used to those specific settings to find the best one, but it seems to create a good cut from it. The trace function is pretty easy to use, from opening the image below, to actually cutting only takes a minute or 2. Text is just straight forward typing into the program and cutting, no trace needed with text.
The blade has depth settings that you set manually before cutting, and there's some cut settings in the program itself (Speed and thickness)

Edit:
Image from photoshop:

In Silhouette Studio: Area traced. You can see the trace settings on the right. Once they're set (Shown with the yellow overlay) you click "Trace" at the top of the 3 Apply methods and get the next picture.

Traced and original image deleted, leaving just the line to be cut:

Cut image: Photographed through the backing sheet (Reversed design to be stuck to window from inside)

Bad image quality from 6 year old K800i phone, take my word for it that it was very cleanly cut. Also, the small section missing from the T in "Sato" is because there was an imperfection in the vinyl itself before.

In terms of cutting detail, the smaller stripes on the tiger were less than 0.5mm and they were cut fine

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Smeada- that craft jet is $270 and only 12" wide.

You would get much more for your money buying one of the "UScutter" plotters on eBay. They have multiple sizes and work great. Make sure to buy the one with the software upgrade. It makes the whole process a ton easier.

As far as the program goes you need to use their specific software. You can't just click print from AI or coral draw. Plotters work much differently than printers. It needs to trace the vector, whether the program does it auto, or you trace it, it needs to happen. The software upgrade on the UScutter makes it damn near automated though.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. Very helpful. I've looked at ebay UScutters but there is one problem. The software that comes with it is not mac compatible. I got excited because the Cameo apparently is mac friendly. Also the live trace seems to be pretty decent. I would still like to be able to directly cut vector I create so most likely I would look into getting the 50 dollar software upgrade that allows you to do that. I need to do more research.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a gcc expert 24, not sure on mac compatibility. I run xp still.... On 4ghz overclocked amd dual.
I'll check more into it, but after figuring out a few little quirks, it's a nice machine.
it wasn't as cheap as a uscutter, but I heard those have a high problem rate with the new ones.

And if you have vectors (ai, eps etc) it imports straight into the cutter program.

And it cuts good:

It's about 3x6"
More I made

1 - 12 of 12 Posts