ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay peeps im new on here. Ive recently got me a project miata. I have a 96 1.8 that had 300+ k on her. Oh and blown head gasket. I swapped in a 2001 vvt motor and orderd the vvt tuner from diy auto tune. Has anyone installed one uning the stock ecu? I having trouble figuring how to wire in from the vvt tuner to my ecu. It appears that the stock herness uses 2 crank signals one from the crank sensor and one frome the cas? Im not sure what to do

·
Murse Magnet
7,840 Posts
I've not tried to do what it is you are doing but my best gut speculation would be that you need to use your cam angle sensor from your 1.8 na engine on the back of the vvt engine to get a signal to the stock ecu to physcially run the vvt engine on your stock ecu. This would require removing the cam block off plug from the back of the vvt head. Then in addition to that you are going to need to run your own wires to the cam and crank sensors on the vvt motor directly to the vvt tuner so that the tuner gets both a cam and crank signal. I don't believe it is possible with a stock ecu to get the vvt sensors working but I do think it is possible to get the vvt sensors working with the vvt tuner. Treat the stock ecu as just running the engine and the vvt tuner as just vvt reading the vvt specific sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks thats kinda what i was thinking also. Do you know if i need to use the. Rear most main cam cap off the non vvt 1.8 or will the cas bolt right up?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts