ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving home from work, come up to the offramp, i hear a very small whine at idle.... i thought it was the big ass lifted truck next to me or a brown van...... wasn't trippin to much....
start to go, shift to 2nd, go, shift to 3rd, noise starts coming back when van passes..... not tripping too much still...... then i get on her a little bit and the whine got horrendous...... shifted it to neutral and heard the whine fade. FOCK...... shift to 4th and the noise was nowhere to be heard so i babied it home.....
noise didn't come back, shut her off and not going to run her til tomorrow.

facts:
- did clutch 1k ago.... new pilot, new throwout....... did not grease.....
- when i pulled tranny, lost about half a bottle-3/4 a bottle of 75-90 have not touched level.....meaning i did not top it off or change it
- throwout bearing had a very faint whine for the past couple weeks..... sound would go away when i depressed clutch

plans.... HOPING that it is throwout or better yet..... fluid level...... going to change all fluids tomorrow. oil, tranny fluid, turret fluid, diff...... everything.

any reccomendations or rants about telling me how much of a jackass i am for not servicing the tranny before i skeeted my pants with the new clutch? lol
this sucks..

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
In for answers... i just had a new clutch installed also and I have a whine in all gears but 4th. It comes and goes at idle but disappears when I press the clutch.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
sound like this?
Thats pretty much my noise... **** I don't want to have this stupid transmission pulled again. This stupid shop has had it out 3 times.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I have a whine in all gears but 4th.
4th gear is 1:1, so all the power goes straight to the diff; this means your tranny is bad.

Thats pretty much my noise... **** I don't want to have this stupid transmission pulled again. This stupid shop has had it out 3 times.
The noise is the video is simply an ungreased throw out bearing, where it's basically rattling on the fork/diaphragm until there's some tension on it. The fork's fingers and the tabs the TOB holds onto the fork with, the fork's pivot point, and the clutch disc springs should all be greased liberally to reduce any noises.

I no longer have this noise after going back up and greasing thing properly where in the video I had only greased the input shaft.

Your other whine however is a bad tranny; but a very common noise that that. I'd ignore both--but keep in mind my tranny also whined like a supercharger, I let it go for 3 years where I finally got a replacement and it felt like a whole new car, shifted better, smoother and it even freed up power where I had to retune my fueling...I'm sure there was tons of drivetrain loss before.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Your other whine however is a bad tranny; but a very common noise that that. I'd ignore both--but keep in mind my tranny also whined like a supercharger, I let it go for 3 years where I finally got a replacement and it felt like a whole new car, shifted better, smoother and it even freed up power where I had to retune my fueling...I'm sure there was tons of drivetrain loss before.
Great information. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
then, yep. Like I said, I let it go over three years, but I'd just keep an eye out for a good replacement one of these days. I pointed this noise out to a few other people who just thought it was normal since it appears on many miata transmissions.

Luckily I had a friend who had a few spares and ended up with a 93 trans with 70K on it after I worked out some logitics--whine free.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
then, yep.
what are the final consequences on driving it and driving it? Will it eventually just fail and leave me stranded or will failure cause other damages?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I dunno, seemed fine, just hella annoying. It got REALLY loud after I had a diff that leaked dry and I got on the highway with it where I pretty much killed it.

I had to replace the diff, and the tans noise was worsened.

This also led to me having to replace my block, where I started having blow-by problems.

I eventually replaced the trans and it was like a new life to the car, a huge performace/power upgrade.

So yeah, don't let your diff run dry and destroy your drivetrain and wear out your motor...I had so much drag from friciton on that motor/drivetrain it all just failed together.

·
Supporting Member
873 Posts
- when i pulled tranny, lost about half a bottle-3/4 a bottle of 75-90 have not touched level.....meaning i did not top it off or change it

Did you not pour it back in?
Sounds like your transmission is almost empty. I think mine took just less than a quart when I changed it.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Proper level for the transmission is 2 quarts..when the car is level you fill until the fluid runs out the fill plug and then really quick put the square head plug back in the hole. Then a few ounces in the shifter turret.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tranny serviced, engine serviced, and diff serviced.
no sound now. just the small throwout chirp...... keeping fingers crossed. will keep everyone updated :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so it's official, sound isn't coming from tranny.

the sound is coming from serp. belt/alternator area....
here is what happens..... i start my car, it squeals like a mfer! then it fades and eventually eliminates itself...... also happens very rarely when driving but still comes and goes when driving.

any input? should be an easy fix :D

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Another transmission question, don't want to start another thread. Had a loud whiny torsen about a month ago. It got replaced with another and the transmission fluid was replaced. ~1000 street miles and 1 auto-x later I changed the fluid and again have a nice layer of shavings on both the trans and diff drain plugs.

Car shifts and drives perfectly normal whether hot, cold, whatever. Also don't hear any odd sounds.

Should I be worried that there is some bigger issue possibly causing some unwanted vibrations, or am I just being paranoid after the torsen died? Was thinking about replacing my motor mounts since they're still the original ones, that should take some slop out of the driveline, but idk...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^^ did urethane mounts and inserts on my old car. wow. amazing difference. still haven't done it to the miata but can't wait to :D

as for my miata problems. all noises gone, drives like a dream, having fun again, end of story :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts