ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinkin' about going to the Irwindale street legal drags tonight (I have a pretty dress to wear). Anyone else wanna go? I think it's like $20 to participate.

Irwindale T-N-T, starts tonight at ~5pm. Be there or wear pants.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I did. It was fun. 8)

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah! We demand timeslips!

·
3,857 Posts
Yeah! We demand timeslips!
C'mon Dave please the crowd :mrgreen:
Even if you are not 100% happy with the results you have to post them so we can monitor your progress!

How did you do?
Did you get a lot wheelspin?
In how many rpm you damp the clutch?
Did you change your technique during the multiple runs?
Btw I bet if there was any monster mustang (fox4) with slicks it would be a nice race...

Hey get some slicks and let's call PINKS :mrgreen:

If I get my car running I want to come for a fun run with my overweight (2500lbs) slut :mrgreen:

·
3,857 Posts
Yes, Supecharged ECOTEC, I think it's the same engine that the cobalt and the solstice have.

I bet it would be difficult to do the best launch in an Atom... even though an average launch would still be good enough to kick some serious butt :)

With slicks it would be another story ;)

·
3,857 Posts
i thought the atom uses a supercharged honda k20 or something
Every other country but the US gets the Type R motor. We're never lucky enough to get one. So we're stuck with the GM Ecotec :(
The Ecotec engine is a pretty good engine!
I wouldn't worry too much if I had $60-70K to buy an atom 8)
Of course Honda makes the best motors but that doesn't mean that the GM engine sucks...
The main reason is that this engine was designed in EU by the German Opel and is used in many models from 1.0 liter corsa ... up to their top of the line models.
So it's not the usual american engine (5 liter 120 hp engine) :mrgreen:

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, here's the slip info:

Run 1:
R/T... 1.038
60'... 2.384
330'... 6.180
1/8 ... 8.981
MPH ... 90.54
Run 1 analysis: First attempt at a drag launch, and I did horribly. Tires just spun a lot, and continued to do so all the way down the track. It felt like I was racing on ice, and didn't stop the wheelspin until about 2/3 of the way down the track.

Run 2:
R/T... .988
60'... 2.476
330... 5.946
1/8... 8.625
MPH... 91.18
Run 2 analysis: To prevent ridiculous wheelspin at launch, decided to do a regular stoplight-type takeoff in 2nd gear, then apply throttle once I got going. Bogged a bit at the beginning, but the rest of the run was better. Still got lots of wheelspin & squirmy rear end each time I shifted though.

Run 3:
R/T... .978
60'... 2.421
330... 5.761
1/8... 8.385
MPH... 95.49
Run 3 analysis: Tried to kick it up a bit on the launch, aiming for results somewhere in between the first and second attempts. Still got a lot of wheelspin on launch, but nowhere near as much as the first run. Most of the rest of the run was fairly smooth, with less wheelspin after each shift. Kept it in 3rd through the traps this time, too.

Overall analysis: The two weakest points for this night were the driver and the tires. I know I can get faster with the car, probably break into the high 7's with these tires given enough practice. With better tires, I fairly confident I can get the car into the low 7's-high 6's. Traction was my biggest issue, which was to be expected, considering that the car was running on Yokohama ES100's. The worst time of the night in the Atom was faster than the best I was ever able to do with my turbo'ed Miata. Cool...

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And in regards to the engine, I chose the Ecotec because:

1. - The Ecotec has counterbalance shafts. Since the engine in the Atom is bolted directly to the frame (no shock absorbing engine mounts), the Honda engine causes chassis vibrations at certain rpms. This has led to ancillary vibration issues in the UK version of the Atom (ie, bulb filaments breaking, light housings cracking, etc). The Ecotec doesn't have any of these vibration issues, so the rest of the car doesn't have them either.

2. - Lateral weight distribution. The placement of the driver on the right hand side of the car in the UK version makes for ideal lateral weight distribution, as the driver offsets the weight of the Honda transmission. However, in the US, the driver is placed on the same side of the car. This causes a lateral weight disparity which affects overall balance of the car. The Ecotec version of the Atom has better weight distribution with the left hand side driver placement.

3. - Torque. Although both the Honda and Ecotec engines can be tuned for the same amount of HP, the Ecotec generates more torque. In the Atom, the extra torque can be directly translated into the extra "oomph" in acceleration which is one of the selling points of the design. This extra torque has been shown in testing to make a 245hp Ecotec version of the Atom accelerate just as quickly as the 300hp Honda version anywhere below 100mph.

4. - Engineering. The Honda engine is a masterpiece of engineering and design. I also think that the Ecotec is just as much a masterpiece of engineering and design, but suffers the wrath of people who want to automatically diride it because it's a GM product. I put the brand name prejudgements aside when I compared the engines, and the Ecotec just came out on top based on my use and application (for the above stated reasons and the equivalence of quality for the engine). I would encourage those who diride the Ecotec because it's "GM crap" to first do some research on it. I think you'd be surprised at what you'd find and would change your mind about the powerplant. Yeah, GM still sucks, but the Ecotec powerplant really is a gem.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
neat!

your 60' times are showing the wheelspin. i think high 6's would be possible with better tires and more seatime in the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts