ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I am in the market for a new car and would like input from all of you. Right now I have a 98 Toyota Tacoma for my DD and a 92 Mazda Miata for fun driving, but as my wife and I get older we are starting to think it is time for children. Hence, why I need a new DD, the Tacoma just wont hold car seats.

So, what am I looking for? I think I have settled on getting a hatchback. I do a lot of cycling and need space for holding gear. Need 4 doors, to make it more of a family car. I also want something that is fun to drive (handling and fair power) because I do drive up into the mountains a lot.

What I have been deciding between is a WRX, A3, Mazda3 (maybe the speed3), and a GTI. I haven't been out test driving yet (broken collar bone and can't hold steering wheel with both hands yet), but I most definitely will go test drive. I have never drive a FWD car, so just wondering if I should try and avoid or not.

So, what are your thoughts? Anything out there that I have not, but should consider?(remember, will need to accommodate a car seat and gear for mountain biking, plus I plan on putting a hitch on it because I already have a nice hitch rack for my bikes)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am kind of leaning towards that. Then, we will be a Mazda family (Miata, CX-9 already in the garage). I will end up test driving them all, looking at prices and financing offers, and then weigh the pros/cons.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
...and great bang for the buck, as well for that Speed3!
Were it my choice, I'd shy away from the Audi and VW just because of the hype about electrical gremlins in post-warranty years. As a lease, though, or with an extended warranty, definitely! Both the A3 and GTI seem like very very nice cars.
Never driven the newer WRX. In a few test-sitting sessions, though, I found the shifter pretty sloppy, though. Teach me to try out the STI first, I guess. That shifter is notchy and tight!

·
(⌐■_■)
2,359 Posts
I know the rear seats don't fold down on some of the wrx/sti model years, not sure if they changed that recently. Honestly, since you already have a miata as a fun car, I'd look some of the regular hatch impreza/forester/outback for their practicality.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would say an Impreza Wrx or Sti would suit your needs well.

Comfy stock, four seater sports sedan, and the option to modify it in the future (if you want to).

Did I already mention that it's a four door sedan?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have the 2011 Mazda3. Its a nice little car and gets great gas mileage. If the wife would of wanted to learn to drive manual I'd have MS3 instead.

·
Registered
638 Posts
i'd still take the fiat 500 abarth. Miata size, seats 4(will hold your 2 gremlins in the back). FWD for snow conditions. Roof rack option for the bike. Supercharged.

unless your kid is under 2yr a 2door like this they can learn to get in or take the bus. :)

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I'm sure the fiat abarth is fun to drive, but there comes a point you lose your man hood. You can't own a Miata and a Fiat 500. In fact, it is so anti-man your wiener will probably fire blanks. I'm not saying go out and get a ridiculous muscle car either, but a simple mazda3, civic, focus, cruze, etc would be much better

Also the idea of Fiat+Chrysler sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen IMO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the thoughts. I don't think I want to get the sti, its just a little pricey, but I haven't driven it yet, so it might just blow me away. The ms3 seems like it has the best value. I was hoping to stay around 25k.

About the fiat, I think i'd prefer 4 doors. I want a bit more room than what that offers.

·
Registered
638 Posts
meh,

It's a fiat. Chrysler had/has no input in this platform. More the opposite when you look at the 4cyl Chrysler/dodges that are coming out.

Here if you need some 'winning'....

same can be said of the initial target markets for the 240sx, or a stock miata.. it's not what you drive, it's how you drive.. .. hence my avatar :phillyb::domo:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts