ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1997 1.8 miata with 200K on the odo. This is the car. It has been repainted but all the external parts are original with VIN stickers. The bottom looks perfect, very clean no leaks what so ever. Let me know what you think. I am thinking 3k but no higher than that. The transmission is stock on 200K http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2645197478.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like a good price at 3k, but no paperwork makes me a little nervous. Can he show you some of the boxes from the parts? If you have driven it then drive another Miata and see how the engine feels, does it feel fresher? Only you can have your final say.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car felt okay and the motor felt strong. I went to check it out in a miata so i had a good chance to compare. There is a vibration at idle but I'm guessing that is due to the stronger mounts. The bottom is super clean, the steering rack looks really fresh. I know that with a good suspension it will be in good shape. I tried to take a peak under the oil cap to see if it is clean and it seamed very clean.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well after hearing that maybe i'd go up to 3k. If if all looks really good and drives great then go for it. Dont go by what the KBB says or what some people say on here. You pay for what a car drives like and the work put into it.

My car has 200k and drive beautiful with mostly orig parts

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Skip. You can pick up an equally clean and priced 100k mile example if you are patient.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Skip. You can pick up an equally clean and priced 100k mile example if you are patient.
that is also an option but if i were to pick this one up, what is the MAX you would offer for it. I do need a car to get to school so i don't have all the time in the world.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
3995 is laughable. See if you can confirm the motor is a lower mileage example. If so, 2?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I paid 2900 for my 94M with 103k in pretty nice condition about 2 months ago.
It was a pretty good deal. That said I wouldn't pay near that for a car like this with 2x the miles and no paperwork.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I paid 2900 for my 94M with 103k in pretty nice condition about 2 months ago.
It was a pretty good deal. That said I wouldn't pay near that for a car like this with 2x the miles and no paperwork.
I completely agree with you..

·
Registered
945 Posts
paperwork means nothing when the motor was swapped in. All the paperwork says was "The motor was swapped in, see?"

I agree with Stormin Norman on logic and patients.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
paperwork means nothing when the motor was swapped in. All the paperwork says was "The motor was swapped in, see?"

I agree with Stormin Norman on logic and patients.
If anybody is feeling nice, pm me with anything decent that comes up in socal. my price range is 4k

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would still take it for 3k, but if you want to offer less try 2.5. Cheap good miatas arent as plentiful as some of these people make it seem.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would say even at 3k you can get one with lower mileage, Torsen, power mirrors, power antenna, and cruise control, if that's the kind of stuff you like. Specifying the engine was from an M-Edition would just make me feel a little funny because it just sounds like someone who'd say things just to make it sound better. Maybe it was from an M, maybe not, but it makes no difference. It's true as someone said, the great deals are not as plentiful as most make it appear. HOWEVER, if you have cash in hand and are ready to snap up the great deals when they pop up, there are enough that come through that the wait should not be all that long. They tend to come in waves.

In my opinion this is not all that great of a deal.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say even at 3k you can get one with lower mileage, Torsen, power mirrors, power antenna, and cruise control, if that's the kind of stuff you like. Specifying the engine was from an M-Edition would just make me feel a little funny because it just sounds like someone who'd say things just to make it sound better. Maybe it was from an M, maybe not, but it makes no difference. It's true as someone said, the great deals are not as plentiful as most make it appear. HOWEVER, if you have cash in hand and are ready to snap up the great deals when they pop up, there are enough that come through that the wait should not be all that long. They tend to come in waves.

In my opinion this is not all that great of a deal.
so he sent me a receipt for the motor and I emailed him back offering 2400 dollars for the car. this is his response.

"I think you will be looking for a long time if all you have is $2,400, you may get a POS for that money or a 1.6 car but not a 1.8 car with everything in working order. I will go $3,500 but that is it.

good luck let me know what you find. I would like to see other 1.8 cars with in the same working order as my car for $2,400

the 200k really means nothing due to all the service that has been done to this car, it would be different if it were a RUST bucket but it's not"

I think its funny

·
Bimmer Challenge - B5
2,397 Posts
Yeah, that guy is a moron. When I go to sell my actual '94 M Edition in a few months (on the fence) I would ask about that much but its 150k, torsen, r package trunk spoiler & bilsteins. All original down to the wood trim pieces aside the Konig Heliums (11lbs). Only needs a top and probably some paint as the car had a bra, the rear bumper/finish panel is faded and the clear coat is coming off the spoiler.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts