ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a set of watanabes. mine are the dark silver finish. i am going to make them look like this:

the question i have is are the wheels pictured above unfinished magnesium with the lips polished or are the centers painted?

i am thinking of having the wats media blasted and the lips polished locally. howere if the pictured examples are painted, i will have them blasted, then painted, and finally polished.

the third option is to blast, polish, them have the wheels clearcoated (to prevent oxidation).

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Those wheels pictured are very similar to mine, which are not magnesium.

There is no 'finish' on the wheel, the lip is machined to a give the mirror edge, and the centre is rough 'cast' metal.

edit to add - I actually prefer your ones, if we lived in the same country, I would swap!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I thought the outers were "spun" on some versions of the Wat's!?
The minilte's I posted a day ago look to be the same unfinshed grey/metal color. Looks $$ imo! :)

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some wats are 2-3 piece wheels. mine are magnesium cast.

thanks for the info, jo! i will look into a media blaster later this summer when my tires wear out and i need them dismounted.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If your wheels are magnesium then you definitely need/want a painted finish on them. If your interested in achieving a rough cast appearance I suggest having the centers media blasted to achieve the roughness you desire. Then paint the centers as you normally would. You might even want to pay a shop that specializes in auto body & paint or wheel refinishing to match the exact color you want. They might even be able to apply a tinted clear coat so you get the metal look but slightly darker to suit your tastes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
the question i have is are the wheels pictured above unfinished magnesium with the lips polished or are the centers painted?
Hey kung fu those are my RS-Watanabe Type A/B aluminum.. They use a very durable flat silver paint for that finish. It is a very porous finish that has no clear coat. The lip is machined, not polished.. and there is no clear coat on the lip as well.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gracias.

i think i will have them media blasted, then i will consider how the center color looks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts