ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming off night shift at about 530 am Wed morn, 405 south on ramp off El Segundo blvd. I was behind 2 hondas doing no more than 15mph, I think I might have hit black ice cause I was 180 in a second. You can see a tree in the picture, the rear end was on it and thats what the fender hit. I think the tree might have saved me from rolling. Got it pulled out and drove it home. The steering wheel was 1/4 turn off but it tracked straight, no leaks. Anyway, started to work on it and see what i'm up against. Need front fender.
Since I don't need to drive the car I figured now will be the time to pull the AC parts and the rack so I can de-power it and replace the already bent tie rod.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Shoot, I almost slid down onto the off ramp, would have made it if not for the tree.
You can see the on ramp signs, its above the car/hill

I would be interested in any suggestions for the rocker panel dents.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
yeah, but you're in ontario...i have a hard time believing bellflower, ca got anywhere near 37 (freezing temp for roads) lately.
who knows though

·
Registered
474 Posts
sorry to hear man..

i work graveyard and im outside all night
...5;30 is around the time the temp is the coldest lol the other day i washed my car when i got off work around 6:30am and when i tried to dry my car all the water on my car froze lol had to turn on my car so it could melt o.0

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Did the same thing to my NB the other day, hit some ice under fresh snow on a turn about in my neighborhood and went into a 180 about half way through and curb slapped my rear right wheel. Had to cut out the long lower control arm bolt and about to tackle a spindle swap. Sucks about the body damage that happened to yours though, at least the front lower is easy to work on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It sounds like you would benefit from some proper winter tires. I had an incident a few weeks ago where I, while driving well below the speed limit, hit a patch of slush while going around a turn. The car ended up going sideways but I managed to save it and keep it on the road. That was fortunate because there were some sizable trees around the outside of that turn.

Anyway, the car has Azines on it, which are terrible when it's cold. Fortunately I have my Subaru back now so the Miata can comfortably sit in the garage until spring.

Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ice? as a socal native originally from green bay wisconsin... I can say for sure there is no way you hit black ice. either way totally blows that your car is jacked up. only looks cosmetic, good luck.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Stop trying to keep up with the SH preludes :p

Sorry I had to.

Looks like all of the damage was on replaceable parts with the exception of the rockers. New fender, new door, alignment and misc. suspension bits=good to go.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, that is ridiculously bad luck. You were doing 15 miles an hour and slid that far--and were going for the ramp? You must have lost all traction completely.

I have already switched to winter tires and still going to do some praying all winter.

Hope the fix is fairly painless.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Wow, that is ridiculously bad luck. You were doing 15 miles an hour and slid that far--and were going for the ramp? You must have lost all traction completely.

I have already switched to winter tires and still going to do some praying all winter.

Hope the fix is fairly painless.
i think he slid down from the top road... not from where the tow truck is..

also, did you see my wallet? i left it in El Segundo... blvd... ;) some new "kids" may not get the reference..

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My guess is anti-freeze, that **** is slick!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
if someone leaks enough fluid for him to lose all traction, I would think it needs to be significant. Unless that is he was already do some high performance maneuvers ;)

He never really clarifies if HE was doing 15 mph or the HONDAS where doing 15 mph ;) lol I am just foolin around btw.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think he slid down from the top road... not from where the tow truck is..

Yes, I slid from the upper road with the 20mph right turn signs. I was 180deg from original direction parallel with lower guard rail. The picture with the trucks is after they started to pull it out.

Pulled fender, Also since the car is on stands for awhile I pulled the steering rack and de powered it per the miata.net write up. Next to come out will be the AC system. I had a bent pass tie rod anyway so I'm replacing that and upgrading to 93LE / 94 R tie rod ends as long as its apart.

Yes the black ice was a stretch, just out of fun. Prob a combination of wet road and need for new tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts