ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the rundown. I'm going to be boosting my 99 soon and I'm trying to decide which gauge is more important. So far I have a wideband o2 and a boost gauge. Both are digital and in blue. At first, I was thinking the temp gauge was more important because well...you know. over heating makes a blown motor. The only problem is that I can't find a matching water temp gauge in blue.

Now, today while I was searching, I found out that the company who makes my other gauges makes an oil pressure gauge that matches my set.

So, here's the dilemma. Do i need a water temp gauge even tho there is already a gauge in the cluster, or do I go with oil pressure since the NB gauge is pretty much useless? Right now I'm leaning more towards the oil pressure since it comes with a sensor as well and it matches my set.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tem was telling me today that the NB oil pressure gauge could be made to work like the NA gauge. Maybe that's something I can look in to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your water temperature gauge in the cluster is effectively a dummy gauge, just like your oil pressure gauge so they both suck.

I've done the linear temperature gauge mod (see http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,21534.0.html) to make the water temperature gauge functional. The gauge now climbs to 1/3 when I've thrashed my MSM so that's it's "normal" maximum temperature. When I initially installed my Adaptronic e440 ECU using an e420c Water Temperature map, the gauge climbed to 2/3rds and I could see steam coming from the radiator so it definitely works (FYI: The e420c Water Temp map reads lower than the e440 map so my thermofans weren't activating which caused the coolant to boil).

ie. For the cost of two resistors, which are cheap, and some rudimentary soldering skills, you can have a functional Water Temperature gauge.

As for the Oil Pressure gauge, consider replacing your existing dummy gauge with a real one. I've replaced my dummy Oil Pressure gauge with a SpeedHut Boost gauge (see http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091&start=75 and http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41091&start=105).

SpeedHut Gauges are great because you can customise their colour, face and fonts as you require - unfortunately they're expensive. Since they have a thick plastic casing, they're easy to shape as required to fit into the OEM Oil Pressure gauge location. SpeedHut gauges are also shallow and, because they are electronic, are much easier to fit than most mechanical gauges.

·
Registered
363 Posts
As another option, you can pull decently accurate water temps off the OBD2 port (if you're keeping obd2 with a parallel megasquirt), quite a few OBD2 scanners out there.

If you don't like the look of the obd2 gauges or whatever, I think there are a few that have alarm settings and will beep. Maybe set the water alarm to like 220 and put the gauge out of sight (but still somewhere you can hear it).

Then just run an oil gauge...

·
Cheyyyaaa
1,389 Posts
Water temp, oil pressure, and go ahead and add oil temp since it's important as well. If the gauges aren't first blue, get a blue LED light and replace it with, you know- just so you can get that little feeling near your butt hole.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
/me hasn't read anything (please keep that in mind if you quote and reply to me)
oil pressure oil pressure oil pressure
(if you have na8)
if you have na6.......
you have other issues

1 - 11 of 11 Posts