ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I have all the correct opinions.
18,184 Posts
godaddy is pretty damn cheap. they have a free option, but its ad supported... which is no bueno.

(I dont use GoDaddy, but I've heard alright things)

·
brontosaurus
10,440 Posts
Go daddy sucks ****. They literally suck ****, but not in the good way. They suck **** like a 90 year old aids infected gloryhole surprise.

I have multiple websites, they are who I started with, and they are the pits.

Right now I use inmotionhosting.com or Fatcow.com

It's a lot cheaper, they don't try to rip you off every five secods, you can place a tech call without it turning into a sales call, email service is much better, templates if you can't build a site are free (inmotion), no data transfer limits based on price, etc.

Go daddy is awful. You can call them angry and yelling at them because their service is costing your business money, ask to cancel it, and they still will try to sell you upgrades. They also charge you for EVERY last detail. Did I mention ai fkn HATE go daddy?! Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate!

Want to forward your emails to your phone, gmail, or windows mail? Oh that's an extra $5 a month.

Need a web template, noob, that's an extra $5 a month. Btw you cannot download the template and make any real changes to it. A friend of mine fucked up and built a site off one of these, there was no fixing it. Biggest waste of money.

Need more than 2gb bandwidth, that's an extra $2 a month.

Need to set your site up for SEO, that's an extra $5 a month and they **** it up if you stop paying.

Need your **** sucked, prepare for aids. Go daddy's got it.

The only thing go daddy is good for is if you have ZERO idea what you are doing. Their user interface is easy to navigate, that's it.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
18,184 Posts
you're right, but the premise here was "super simple site." i'm assuming he doesnt need email, or a ton of bandwidth, etc.

EDIT: For the record, I use Siteground. I wouldnt recommend it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Agreed that GoDaddy is garbage. I admin a site hosted with iPage, they are not horrible - if a little slow to resolve issues. My friends' sites are all on DreamHost, they seem to like them though I have never dealt with them personally.

If you just want simple / inexpensive though, set up a Tumblr - since they can do static pages / not just blog content now - register your domain name, point to Tumblr, done. Simple, cheap, easy as hell to admin / update...

·
//banned
10,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i doubt i will need a whole lot of support. i'm basically thinking this...
one page is a form. when people fill out the form, it goes to my email with a particular subject.
and then perhaps a donation link which goes to my paypal account.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
might check out squarespace.com They are like wordpress, tumblr etc but very flexible and VERY simple. They also have a 2 week free trial so you can see if its for you or not.

·
brontosaurus
10,440 Posts
Most web services have wordpress built in now. Why find something "like" wordpress, when wordpress is unbeatable for the quality of site you can build with little to no knowledge. Inmotion has full wordpress support.

Creating a custom HTML contact form is a pain in the ass. I recommend "iphorm" if you are building from scratch. Otherwise use wordpress and prosper.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Most web services have wordpress built in now. Why find something "like" wordpress, when wordpress is unbeatable for the quality of site you can build with little to no knowledge. Inmotion has full wordpress support.

Creating a custom HTML contact form is a pain in the ass. I recommend "iphorm" if you are building from scratch. Otherwise use wordpress and prosper.
My "like" wordpress was just referring to it being a CMS. And while wordpress is nice in many situations. It also falls short in others and can be a pain to work with some times. Sign up for a free trial on squarespace and you will be impressed.

·
brontosaurus
10,440 Posts
No tech support from any host service will help you with your contact form.

Wordpress has plug ins to create a custom one.

If building from scratch, seriously buy iphorm. It's a huge pain in the ass for someone who does not know HTML and CSS like the back of their hand.

On freelance websites a custom contact form will cost you $250-$750 depending on the complexity.

Did I mention it sucks building one?

·
brontosaurus
10,440 Posts
Yes, for someone well versed.

It's a huge task for someone not knowing what they are doing, that's why freelance designers rip people off. It'll take someone that doesn't know what they are doing days to make it work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.