ClubRoadster.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have this 97 NA that hasn't had any problems since I got her 2 months ago. Today I start my car and a weird noise, like a clicking or tickingthats coming from the car at first as the engine heats up it goes aaway. So I just left it alone. After running my errands as turn off the.car a weird smell was coming from the interior. Smells like something burning..I spoke to a guy and he said it might be burning coolant. But wouldnt it only burn coolant if coombustion is present.

I don't know what to do thats why turn to the forum. Before heading out to a shop to get it looked at.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Ticking noise when startong The engine is prefectly normal, as all The oil returns to The bottom of The engine when you shut it of. But you might want to check your oil level to be sure its not running low.
As for The smell, check coolant level, and check all your coolant hoses for any leak.

·
Registered
134 Posts
check your oil? maybe see if there is any coolant in the oil(i.e foam). suffering a recent blown heater line myself, the sweet smell of antifreeze is easy to identify.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
You have to admit, asking how to change your gas from 87 to 91 was a dumb question.....at least a poorly worded question.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,359 Posts
The ticking is the famous hla tick, there's plenty of info on this at mnet. You can try switching to a lighter weight oil and see if it goes away

·
(⌐■_■)
2,359 Posts
I've always understood it as this:

Cold engine tick, he needs a thinner oil at start up, ie 10w30 ---> 5w30.

hot engine tick, he needs a thicker oil at operating temp, ie 5w30 --->5w40

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like what happened when i bought my 96. the car mostly sat before i bought it and the valve cover and cam seal were shot. it leaked and smelled and had a couple lifters get seized on hot days on extended drives.

Install 5w40 synthetic oil and fix any oil leaks, especially valve cover and cam sensor O-ring. works like a champ now.
also i put 89 octane gas or higher.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This tick is different though, when I start the engine I hear a tick. When I drive her a little hard, I would hear a tick when I come to a stop light. It seems like the acceleration or something would cause it to tick. I still need to find an owners manual, since I am not mechanically inclined..yet.

·
Registered
945 Posts
This thread will be 100% useless to you. You cannot diag a ticking noise coming from "somewhere" and a "weird smell" over the internet.

You live in a popular Miata area. Find some people that know what they are talking about to check your car out. It will take seconds. Do not go to a shop. It's most likely an exhaust leak and HLA tick.

What I learned from this thread was to use a thicker oil, use a lighter oil, check your oil, check our coolant, and check for leaks of some kind of fluid... Picking up what I'm laying down?
Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright. I don't want to make another thread: I was just wondering what I could change as a preventative maintenance? I need a list please.
Thanks!

·
Registered
638 Posts
This starts happening to me when;

1. I'm close to my oil change sched. 3k

2. oil level is .5 low and only happens during cold startup.

Are you due for an oil change? and what weight are you running now? what is your oil level on the dipstick (read manual)

If it goes away with a top-off, or if your weight is really light '5w-20' change to a heavier oil. 10w-30.

been 3k or more since last oil change? .. do an oil change.

Still happens after top-off or change in weight if it's lighter then 10w-30? Hydrolic Lash Adjusters are ticking....

http://www.miata.net/garage/hla/index.html

beat your car daily? may want to get that fixed sooner then later...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.