ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i just bought my Miata a week ago and when I test drove it, it was fine when i took it up to 60 but did hit a pot hole a good one but at 15mph. Anyways right around 70 to 78 it has a strange vibration coming the from the passenger side rear area. It comes and goes at those speeds but does not do it at all below 70mph. The passenger rear caliper was replaced by what via paperwork I got with the car. No clicking noise is coming from the rear cv's. No smoke either from the right rear rotor because I drove it home for 4 hours and when I stopped I saw no smoke as I inspected the wheels cause if the caliper was sticking I would have probably seen smoke from driving that long. My guess is its just out of balance, but it is fine at lower speeds or a bent wheel or broken belt in the tire. How can I tell if the tire is damaged? What do I look or feel for when I run my hand across the tread? Any ideas are great, this is my first Miata so im learning as I go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, Since I have some time tomorrow I'll take it to Big-O and see how that goes

·
Supporting Member
142 Posts
If you don't see any bulges in the tire sidewall then your tire should be fine. I agree with those ^^ guys; get an alignment and get the wheel balanced for good measure. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys, The car is going to a shop today to get the alignment looked at along with all the tires for being balanced might as well do all of them. Im just wondering if its not this causing the problem, I wonder if I have a slightly bent spindal or a missing hubcentric ring?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the balance checked and all were off, now after I got on the freeway still shook at indicated 70 and up. Is there a certain way they have to be balanced or what else can be causing this vibration?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Speaking of potholes would having improved suspension such as a good set of coilovers protect the wheel alignment?
It will just make your hair turn grey faster and you'll begin to cringe more often due to worrying about potholes... Other drivers will also be under the assumption that you're drunk since you'll be swerving around nasty holes to protect the wheels and nice CO's

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
A good tire shop will us wheel adapters to hold the wheel on the balancer . If you have a slipped belt you might not see it, if you take it to a shop that has a road force balancer it would show up then .

Did the shop you brought the car to for balance say anything about a bent wheel . Also where do you feel the vibration . Is it in the seat or the steering wheel .

If none of your wheels are bent the one way to fine out for sure is that its a wheel/tire problem is to rotate one side at a time and see if it the vibration moves .
You also said the caliber was changed was the rotor changed as well .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts