ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to find a low cost, non ebay solution for a slim quick release.
No good solutions exist.

So I have stumbled across weld on hubs, the kind used in a bunch of real race cars.

Anyone have any experience with these?
I'd like to get a little more info before making a non reversible mod ( without a new steering column )

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
go look up miata cage and see their QR that they have...

if you buy one with the 3 hole standard you'll have to buy the 3 hole to 6 hole adapter ring, miata cage also sells that.

when i have enough for a decent welder, i will never go back to the nrg/boss hub ****. its a no brainer what to buy if you have the right fab tools (plus a lot cheaper)

*SIGH*..... one day ill be rolling around in tools..

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
I have a SPA design weld-on QR that I welded in my Lotus replica racecar and the well known NRG slim hub and Gen2.5 QR in my Miata demo track car.

The SPA hub and QR are tip top quality and I've mated them to a miata steering column that I used in the Lotus replica, it's a nicely made piece with a good positive lock and a keyed spline to prevent you from putting the steering wheel on in any way other than straight.
It is very compact and light, but despite that fact that it is super tight right now I know that it will develop some slop with usage because it's inevitable.

In comparison, the NRG hub and QR on my Miata are rather sizeable and nowhere near as light, but locking mechanism is fantastic and it will not develop any slop becuase of the way it is designed.
It aligns itself much easier than the SPA QR and comes ready to be installed with the need to cut anything and potentially screw up the welding, where even 0.5 dergee misalignment from warpage will result in some "funny" orbital steering action.

Bottom line, get the NRG and call it a day.

Moti

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had the wilwood QR on my old corolla. it cost me $35 plus 25 to get it tig welded on there

unfortunately i never took a picture of it with the steering wheel off

·
Registered
638 Posts
It aligns itself much easier than the SPA QR and comes ready to be installed with the need to cut anything and potentially screw up the welding, where even 0.5 dergee misalignment from warpage will result in some "funny" orbital steering action.

Bottom line, get the NRG and call it a day.

Moti
THIS.

+1

If weight is an issue... i'm not sure what the benefit of the 1lb is. Longevity and accuracy for this reason is why i like the ball/recess design over spline. I've had friends complain of having to get a new one due to the play that develops in their splined QR.

Wish we had a 'vote' button. it would make this easier :phillyb:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More of a price issue. A slim hub is ~75-100 a QR another $100, and a decent 6 bolt wheel is maybe $150 used.
I have a grant wheel or could pick up another for $30-60
And I want a QR for when I install a kirkey in here. ( kirkey is also cheap versus other racing seats, it's how I roll. )

I like the looks of the miata cage one, I could thread on and tack it, and if it ever got too sloppy I could grind one tack off and move on.
It's a little more money than a cheaper weld on, but still cheaper than a QR and hub.

And I plan on running a 3 bolt wheel. Cheap Grant wheels are fine for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts